Capital Breakfast (London)
|Other names||Capital Breakfast|
|Running time||240 minutes|
|Home station||Capital London|
|TV adaptations||Freesat: 719
TalkTalk TV: 610
Virgin Media: 958
|Recording studio||Leicester Square, London|
|Air dates||since 1987|
|Audio format||FM, digital radio and TV|
Capital Breakfast is the name of the breakfast slot on Capital London (and across Capital). It is currently presented by Dave Berry and Lisa Snowdon. The show is broadcast from 6am to 10am each weekday. From 7 January 2012 an additional 'best of' edition is broadcast from 8am to 12pm each Saturday. The slogan is London's No.1 Breakfast Show.
Local variations across the UK are Dino & Pete (Capital East Midlands), Gillies & Emily (Capital South Coast), Hirsty's Daily Dose (Capital Yorkshire), Dan & Katy (Capital Birmingham), Matt, Polly & Geraint (Capital South Wales), Bodj, Matt & Jojo (Capital North East), The Rob Ellis Show (Capital Manchester), Des & Jennie (Capital Scotland), Graeme & Sarah (Capital North West & North Wales), Alistair James (Capital Cymru).
Broadcast and production
As Capital London (channel listed as Capital FM) is simulcast on TV variants which are available on Freesat, Freeview, Sky, TalkTalk TV and Virgin Media, Capital Breakfast is available throughout the UK. This variant is produced at their studios in Leicester Square, London.
On air team
The longest running presenter was Chris Tarrant, who presented the show from 1987 to 2004. The show was immensely popular, increasing Capital Radio's audience share in London. Tarrant won the Sony Radio Academy Awards, Breakfast Show Gold in 1995 for this show.
In April 2004, Johnny Vaughan replaced Tarrant, as the presenter of Capital Breakfast. In 2008, he was joined by current co-presenter, Lisa Snowdon. Vaughan left the programme in November 2011 after being told that his contract was not being renewed.
In February 2011 it was reported the show remained London's most listened to commercial breakfast show with Capital London having more than one million listeners between 6am and 10am.
- Dave Berry (Co-presenter, 2012–present)
- Lisa Snowdon (Co-presenter, 2008–present)
- Greg Burns (Stand-in presenter)
- Kat Shoob (Stand-in presenter)
- Chris Tarrant (Presenter, 1987–2004)
- Kara Noble
- Graham Dene (1970s and 1980s)
- Neil Fox deputised for Chris Tarrant(1988-2003)
- Chris Brooks presented the show in the weeks that Chris Tarrant left and Johnny Vaughan started. He also deputised for Johnny from 2004-2008
- Justin "Welshy" Waite (Welshy was the show’s creative producer before leaving for Wales where he produces and presents a topical panel show called What's The Story? for BBC Radio Wales and also presents a weekly show for Nation Radio
- Denise van Outen (Co-presenter, 2008)
- Becky Jago (Co-presenter, 2003–2004)
- Zoe Hanson (Co-presenter)
- Louise "Lou" Pepper (Co-presenter)
- Paddy Bunce (Sports reporter)
- Matthew Schofield (Newsreader)
- Claire Miller (Newsreader)
- Paddy Bruce (Producer)
- Howard Hughes (Newsreader)
- Russ Kane (1984-2004) (Traffic reporter in the Flying Eye)
- Rich Clarke (Stand-in presenter, 2009)
- Johnny Vaughan (Co-presenter, 2004–2011)
- Mike Smith (1981)
Guests and podcast
Capital Breakfast with Johnny and Lisa often had high-profile celebrity guests some of whom included Gordon Ramsay, Will Smith, Pierce Brosnan, George Michael and The Pussycat Dolls. Most of Capital Breakfast with Johnny and Lisa interviews were put on their weekly podcast, which was released every Friday via the Capital FM or iTunes website.
- Capital Breakfast at capitalfm.com
- Breakfast: Capital stays up Radio Today, 3 February 2011
- Dave Berry to replace Johnny Vaughan on Capital breakfast show John Plunkett, Guardian, 1 December 2011
- Plunkett, John (28 August 2008). "Lisa Snowdon replaces Denise Van Outen on 95.8 Capital FM". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 31 August 2008.
- "New breakfast presenter for Capital". Radio Today. 28 August 2008. Retrieved 31 August 2008.
- Plunkett, John (11 January 2010). "Johnny Vaughan and Lisa Snowdon sign two-year Capital FM deal". The Guardian (London).
- Justin Waite Official Website
- "Denise van Outen to become Capital Radio Breakfast Co-host". BBC News. 10 January 2008. Retrieved 12 January 2008.
- "Van Outen quits Capital Radio a half year early". Brand Republic. 29 July 2008. Retrieved 29 July 2008.
- Deans, Jason (18 November 2011). "Johnny Vaughan in sudden Capital FM departure". The Guardian (London).