Capital City Trail
|Capital City Trail at Princes Park looking west|
|Capital City Trail|
|Length||Approx 29 km|
|Hills||Minor hill at Rushall Station|
|Path||Shared use concrete or bitumen|
|Train||Going clockwise: Flinders Street, Southern Cross, Flemington Bridge, Rushall and Heyington stations|
The Capital City Trail is a shared use path for cyclists and pedestrians, which circles the Melbourne city centre and some inner eastern and northern suburbs of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. It is 29km in length, and mostly consists of sections of other trails, such as the Merri Creek Trail, Main Yarra Trail, Moonee Ponds Creek Trail and Inner Circle Rail Trail.
A popular starting point for the trail is at Princes Bridge near Flinders Street Station. The rider can head off in an easterly or westerly direction. If heading off in the westerly, either side of the river can be used, but the south side tends to be more popular.
Following the path
The trail follows the Yarra River to Yarra Bend Park on the Yarra River Trail and meets Merri Creek at Dights Falls. It follows the Merri Creek Trail up the Merri Creek to Rushall Station, where it follows the former Inner Circle rail reserve and Royal Park. It then meets the Moonee Ponds Creek Trail, which continues back to Docklands and Southbank. At its farthest, the trail is 5 kilometres from the centre of Melbourne.
Recently completed improvements to the trail include a footbridge crossing Manningham Street in Parkville (which removes a flight of stairs and a road crossing), and re-paving of the path and landscaping on the section that passes under the Hurstbridge railway line. Lobby group Bicycle Victoria continues to advocate for improvements to the trail, notably the removal of a staircase that interrupts the path at Gipps Street in Collingwood.
The trail passes by the following attractions and landmarks:
- Alexandra Gardens and Royal Botanic Gardens
- Melbourne Park and Melbourne Cricket Ground
- Yarra River
- Yarra Bend Park
- Collingwood Children's Farm
- Hardy Gallagher Reserve
- Merri Creek
- Rushall Garden, a community garden in North Fitzroy.
- Princes Park, location of Visy Park
- Royal Park
- Melbourne Zoo
- Moonee Ponds Creek
- Docklands Stadium
The trail acts as central hub and has many spokes. Starting in the north and going clockwise we have the Upfield Rail Trail, Merri Creek Trail, Yarra River Trail, Gardiners Creek Trail, Sandridge Trail, Maribyrnong River Trail & Hobsons Bay Coastal Trail (via the Footscray Road path at Docklands) and finally the Moonee Ponds Creek Trail.
The Princes Bridge starting point is at.
- Bike rides around Melbourne 3rd edition, 2009, Julia Blunden, Open Spaces Publishing, ISBN 978-0-9752333-4-4
- Bike Paths Victoria sixth edition, 2004. Edited and published by Sabey & Associates Pty Ltd. pp111, 119–122. ISBN 0-9579591-1-7
- Revealed – Melbourne's Best Green Secret GEOFF MOSLEY for The Age. May 11, 2010
- Bicycle Victoria – Manningham St Bridge
- Inner Circle Railway Trail – description of the trail
- Capital City Trail notes at the Wayback Machine (archived September 30, 2007)
- Geographic data related to Capital City Trail at OpenStreetMap