Capital University of Medical Sciences
|Capital Medical University|
|President||Professor Lu Zhaofeng|
|Location||Beijing, Beijing, People's Republic of China|
|Affiliations||14 hospitals in China, 11 worldwide|
Capital University of Medical Sciences (T: 首都醫科大學, S: 首都医科大学), also known as CUMS, CCMU or CMU, is a university in Beijing, China, which was originally called Beijing Second Medical College (北京第二醫學院).
Capital Medical University (CMU) was founded in 1960, with the original name of Beijing Second Medical College (北京第二醫學院). It ranks among the top academic medical institutions in China and is considered as one of the key municipal universities in Beijing. The founding President, Professor Wu Jieping, was a world-renowned urologist, member of both the Chinese Academy of Sciences and the Chinese Academy of Engineering. The current President is Professor Lu Zhaofeng.
CMU consists of 10 Schools, 14 affiliated hospitals and 1 teaching institution. The university and the affiliated hospitals have a staff of about 20,000. Among the staff, there are 6 members of the Chinese Academy of Sciences or the Chinese Academy of Engineering, over 1,000 professors, and over 2,000 associate professors. The university has over 9,000 enrolled students. CMU provides a wide range of educational programs for Doctorates, Masters, Bachelors and certificates.
The faculty physicians at CMU train annually several thousands of clinical residents and fellows. Also, the faculty members also provide continuous medical education to physicians and other health professionals through seminars, teaching rounds, and tutorials on and off campus. Over the years, the university has graduated a large number of academic leaders and general practitioners for Beijing and the whole country.
CMU is a well known academic institution for its strong competence in the scientific research. It hosts many national and municipal key disciplines, laboratories and some exchange stations for post-doctoral research. High-caliber national and municipal research and training centers and institutes are founded here, covering a wide range of fields including General Practitioner Training, Clinical Medicine, Basic Medicine, Neurosciences, Ophthalmology, Geriatrics, Urology, Cardiology, Pain Medicine, Toxicology, Biomedical Engineering, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Reproduction, Health Policy and so on. We have achieved national and international recognitions in many areas such as Neurobiology, Cytobiology, Immunology, Medical Iconography, Neurology, Neurosurgery, Cardiology, Cardio-vascular Surgery, Kidney Transplantation, Respiratory Disease, Digestive Medicine, Oral-Maxillofacial Surgery, Ophthalmology, Otolaryngology and Pediatric Hematology, among others.
CMU provides excellent international exchange programs. It has partnerships and agreements with many universities and institutions with more than 20 countries and regions, supporting activities such as faculty and student exchange programs, joint education and joint research projects.
CMU is proud to be at the forefront in the medical education, biomedical research and patient care. It is committed to bring the latest knowledge in basic and clinical sciences for peoples’ care.
- Xuan Wu Hospital, Capital Medical University (Capital Medical University First Clinical School): Founded in 1959, it is one of the largest general hospitals in Beijing specialized in neurology and geriatrics, and is experienced in clinical practice, medical education and research, disease prevention and health care etc.
- Beijing Friendship Hospital, Capital Medical University (Capital Medical University Second Clinical School): Founded in 1953, it is one of the largest general hospitals in Beijing, majoring in digestive, chronic hepatic diseases, and tropical diseases etc., and the hospital is medically advanced in anti-infection and organic transplantation.
- Beijing Chao Yang Hospital, Capital Medical University (Capital Medical University Third Clinical School): Founded in 1958, it is one of the largest general hospitals in Beijing but is advanced in nine medical fields, including respiratory, cardiology, hyperbaric oxygen disease and so on.
- Beijing Tong Ren Hospital, Capital Medical University (Capital Medical University Forth Clinical School): Founded in 1886, it is one of the large general hospitals in Beijing, specialized in ophthalmology, otolaryngology and cardiovascular disease.
- Beijing Tian Tan Hospital, Capital Medical University (Capital Medical University Fifth Clinical School): Founded in 1956, it is one of the large general hospitals in Beijing, specialized in neurosurgery and medical imaging. It is the largest neurosurgery center in Asia.
- Beijing An Zhen Hospital, Capital Medical University (Capital Medical University Sixth Clinical School): Founded in 1984, it is one of the large general hospitals in Beijing, highly experienced and skillful in cardiopulmonary vascular diseases, ICU, CCU etc. It is a surgery center famous for heart and lung diseases and transplantations.
- Fu Xing Hospital, Capital Medical University (Capital Medical University Eighth Clinical School): Founded in 1950, it is one of the general hospitals in Beijing, advanced in uteroscopy and women’s health care. It is highly experienced in the prevention of cardiovascular diseases and community medical services.
- Beijing You An Hospital, Capital Medical University (Capital Medical University Ninth Clinical School): Founded in 1956, it is one of the largest specialized hospitals in Beijing, famous for the treatment and control of infectious diseases, hepatitis, AIDS and liver transplantation.
- Beijing Children’s Hospital, Capital Medical University (Capital Medical University School of Pediatrics): Founded in 1942, it is the largest comprehensive children’s hospital in China, as well as the national paediatrics base, paediatric disease prevention, and a treatment center with the collaboration of WHO and UN Children Found.
- Beijing Stomatological Hospital, Capital Medical University (Capital Medical University School of Stomatology): Founded in 1945, it is one of the largest specialized stomatological hospitals in China, highly skilled in stomatological treatment and prevention, and contains a comprehensive stomatological clinical medical school.
- Beijing An Ding Hospital, Capital Medical University (Capital Medical University School of Mental Health): Founded in 1914, it is one of the largest specialized hospitals in China for the treatment of psychiatric and psychological patients. It serves as the National Psychiatrist Training Center for the Ministry of Health.
- Beijing Obstetrics and Gynecology Hospital, Capital Medical University (Capital Medical University School of Obstetrics and Gynecology): Founded in 1959, it is the largest specialized obstetrics and gynecology hospital in Beijing, advanced in perinatology and women’s reproduction health, and also serves as WHO research and training center for women’s health in China.
- Beijing Traditional Chinese Medicine Hospital, Capital Medical University (Capital Medical University School of Clinical Traditional Chinese Medicine): Founded in 1958, it is one of the largest traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) hospitals in Beijing, undertaking the tasks of training medical students in clinical practice, medical education and research in the field of TCM.
- China Rehabilitation Research Center (Capital Medical University School of Rehabilitation Medicine): It’s the largest rehabilitation center in China, undertaking the tasks of treatment, research, education in the field of rehabilitation.
- The Beijing Center for Disease Prevention and Control (CDC) is the center for preventive medicine education and research affiliated with the School of Public Health and Family Medicine of CMU. It undertakes the task of public health control during severe epidemic outbreaks.
- School of Basic Medical Sciences
- School of Public Health and Family Medicine
- School of Biochemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences
- School of Biomedical Engineering
- School of Traditional Chinese Medicine
- School of Health Administration and Education
- School of Nursing
- School of Continual Education and Advanced
- Vocational Education
- Yan Jing Medical College
- International School of CCMU
Campus of CMU
- The Main Campus (Feng Tai District)
- International Campus Of CCMU (Feng Tai District)
- Shun Yin Campus (Shun Yin District)
- Wan Shou Lu Campus (Hai Dian District)
- He Ping Li Campus (Dong Cheng District)
- Dong Si Shi Tiao Campus (Dong Cheng District)