Capitol police in the United States are agencies charged with the provision of security police services for various state agencies, but especially State Legislatures. Capitol police may function as part of the state police or may be an independent agency. There is also a federal capitol police agency.
Security police for government facilities are actually a very old idea, dating back at least to the guards posted at Solomon's temple and including such units as the Praetorian Guard and the Coldstream Guards.
State capitol police agencies
- Arizona State Capitol Police (defunct as of 2011; merged with the Arizona Department of Public Safety)
- California State Police (merged with the California Highway Patrol)
- Connecticut State Capitol Police
- Delaware Capitol Police
- Florida Capitol Police
- Maryland Capitol Police
- Missouri Capitol Police
- Nevada Capitol Police
- North Carolina Capitol Police (Since 2011 a part of the NC Department of Crime Control and Public Safety)
- Pennsylvania Capitol Police
- Virginia Capitol Police
United States Capitol Police
- Carl Hoecker, Inspector General 2006–13