Capron Park Zoo
|Location||Attleboro, Massachusetts, USA|
|Land area||8 acres (3.2 ha)|
|Number of animals||100|
|Number of species||44|
The Capron Park Zoo is a small 8-acre (3.2 ha) zoo that opened in 1937 in Attleboro, Massachusetts, USA. It is home to about 100 animals representing 44 species, Capron Park Zoo is an accredited member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) and Association of Zoo and Aquarium Docents (AZAD). It participates in the Species Survival Plan program.
School children started initial funding for the zoo with a penny drive in 1925, and the Capron Park Zoo opened in 1937 on 8 acres (3.2 ha) of the 33 acres (13 ha) donated by the Capron family for Capron Park. The zoo was renovated in the late 1980s and reopened in May 1990. A new children's education department opened in 1991. The Capron Park Zoo offers the public educational programs and recreational activities dedicated to furthering the understanding of animals.
The education department for children opened in 1991, a year after the renovated zoo opened. The education department promotes environmental education, and teaches children about the interaction between animals, and how the zoo works.
Exhibits include North and South American, Asian, African, and Australian animals such as agouti, emu, green tree python, kangaroo, lemur, lion, white lion, meerkats, owls, sloth bear, and amur leopard.
The zoo includes a nocturnal building, where day and night are reversed so that visitors can see the nocturnal animals, and an indoor rainforest exhibit with porcupine, fruit bats, a three-toed sloth, and many birds.
- "Capron Park". attleboro.patch.com. AttleboroPatch. Retrieved 13 February 2011.
- "Capron park Zoo". crazykidsboston.com. Crazy Kids Boston. Retrieved 13 February 2011.
- "Capron Park Zoo". americanzoos.info. AmericanZoos. Retrieved 12 January 2011.
- "List of Accredited Zoos and Aquariums". aza.org. AZA. Retrieved 12 January 2010.
- "Capron Park Zoo". museumsusa.or. Museums USA. Retrieved 12 January 2011.
- "Capron Park Zoo Animal Collection". capronparkzoo.com. Capron Park Zoo. Retrieved 12 February 2011.