||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (April 2011)|
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (February 2011)|
|Stable release||7.5 / 26 September 2011|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
Capsa is the name for a family of packet analyzer developed by Colasoft for network administrators to monitor, troubleshoot and analyze wired & wireless networks. Currently, there are three editions available: Capsa Enterprise Edition, Capsa Professional Edition, and Capsa Free Edition.
- Wired & wireless network real-time packet capturing -- (Packets never lies)
- Traffic & bandwidth monitoring -- (Which machines are downloading or watching online videos?)
- Advanced protocol analysis -- (What network protocols are used in your network? HTTP - web browsing, MSN - chatting.)
- Multiple network behavior monitoring -- (What the users are doing: web browsing, chatting?)
- Expert network diagnosis -- (Are there any attacks and problems in my network?)
- Network activity logging -- (Who and when visited which website/chatted with whom/sent email to whom?)
- Email contents preservation -- (Need to save a copy of all emails' contents sent/received by your employee in your network as evidence?)
- Quick & intuitive reports -- (Need rich charts and graphs in your presentations and reports? )
- In-depth packet decoding -- (What is the original information in network communications?)
- Captures packets from a single or multiple network adapters
- Analyzes the header & contents of each packet
- Provides statistics on MAC & IP address
- Analyze Protocol (Data link -> Application Layer)
- Diagnoses 40 kinds of network problems
- Presents statistics in graphs
- Alerts Computer network anomalies
- Outputs packets & logs to files
- Logs DNS, web browsing, Email, FTP & IM services
Capsa Enterprise Edition
Capsa Enterprise Edition is the flagship of Colasoft Capsa packet analyzer family, it supports both Ethernet and WLAN networks. It performs real-time packet capturing and analysis as well as supporting past-events analysis. It is a very useful tool for enterprise network administrator to help them deal with daily network work, various kinds of network problem and maintain a productive enterprise network.
Capsa Professional Edition
Capsa Professional Edition is an Ethernet packet analyzer designed for networking professionals or small business network administrators. It is an easy-to-use and cost-effective network tool for network monitoring, troubleshooting and analyzing purposes.
Capsa Free Edition
Capsa Free Edition is a freeware Ethernet packet analyzer designed by Colasoft for personal use. It is useful as a tool for network geeks to learn protocols, packets, and other networking related knowledge, and it is free of charge for personal or family users' network monitoring or troubleshooting needs. Anyone can download Capsa Free Edition at Colasoft website for any legal noncommercial use.
Comparison of editions
|Feature||Description||Enterprise Edition||Professional Edition|
|Network Type||Ethernet||1000 Mbit/s||1000 Mbit/s|
|Multiple Adapters||Capture packets from multiple wired adapters||Yes||Yes|
|Local IP addresses||The limit of LAN IP addresses can be analyzed||10000||1024|
|TAP||Capture traffic from a TAP||Yes||Yes|
|Replay Speed||Normal speed and Fast speed||Both||Both|
|Report||Customize and output Report in HTML/PDF/MHT||Yes|
|Diagnosis||Diagnosis tab for auto-diagnosed problems||Yes|
|Security Analysis Profile||Enhanced security analysis modules||Yes|
|Operating Systems||Windows XP||Yes*||Yes|
|Windows Server 2003||Yes*||Yes|
|Windows Server 2008||Yes||Yes|
- *Wireless traffic analysis is not supported on this OS version
- "Capsa - Compare Editions". Colasoft. Retrieved November 25, 2012.
- Colasoft Official website
- Colasoft Official Blog
- Colasoft Capsa FAQ
- Techrepublic, July, 19,2009,Review:Test-drive: Colasoft Capsa network analyzer, by Rick Vanover
- CrunchGear, Aug,3,2009, Review: Colasoft Capsa Network Analyzer, by Scott Merrill.
- PCWorld, Dec, 1,2009, Review: Capsa Keeps Tabs on Your SMB Network, by Ian, Harac.
- WindowsITPro, June,1,2010, Review: Colasoft Capsa 7.1, by Michael Dragone.
- Firewall.cx, July 3, 2010, Review: Colasoft Capsa 7.2, by Chris Partsenidis.
- ITWire, July 26,2010, Review: Colasoft Capsa , by David M Williams.
- PCWorld, Sept,13,2010, Review: Capsa Free Gives You the Skinny on Your Network-for Free, by Ian, Harac.
- IT Wired, April 03,2011, Review: Colasoft Capsa 7 WiFi, by David Williams.
- Firewall.cx, October 1st, 2012, Review: Colasoft Capsa Enterprise 7, by Chris Partsenidis