"It's Gotta Be D's"
|Industry||Fast Casual Restaurant|
|Founded||August 15, 1969 in Donelson, Tennessee, U.S.|
|Headquarters||Nashville, Tennessee, U.S.|
Number of locations
|Phil Greifeld (President & CEO)
Laurie Lawhorne (CFO)
Jonathan Muhtar (CMO)
Jim Stevens (COO)
Michael Arrowsmith (CDO)
Captain D’s is a U.S.-based chain of fast-casual restaurants, specializing in seafood and fish and chips. The restaurant also features a low-carbohydrate menu. The restaurant chain's headquarters is located in Nashville, Tennessee. Its main competitors are Long John Silver's and Arthur Treacher's.
The first Captain D’s restaurant opened in Donelson, Tennessee, on August 15, 1969 under the name “Mr. D’s”. The “D” is the initial of the last name of the co-founder, Ray Danner.
Captain D’s Seafood has won the 2007 Nation’s Restaurant News “MenuMasters Award” in the category of “Best Menu Revamp.”. More recently, Captain D's has experienced a major brand turnaround, with over two years of same store sales growth. The success has also brought about a renewed interested in franchising, as existing and new Captain D's franchisees have begun opening new restaurants. Additionally, Phil Greifeld was named CEO of the Year by the Nashville Post in 2013.
After a 2000 bankruptcy, Dallas-based Lone Star Funds bought Shoney’s in 2002. Timonium, Maryland-based Grotech Capital Group Inc. and Charlesbank Capital Partners, a Boston private equity firm, formed Sagittarius Brands and bought Captain D’s in December 2004 for US$150 million. Captain D’s owners also operated Del Taco.
"It's gotta be D's!"
- "http://www.captainds.com/files/leadership.aspx". Captain D's, LLC.
- "Terms and Conditions & Privacy Statement." Captain D's. Retrieved on February 25, 2010.
- Captain D's president retiring; replacement named | Make and Buy | NashvillePost.com: Nashville Business News + Nashville Political News
- Sun Capital to buy Captain D's Seafood Kitchen
- Souper Salad and Grandy’s Sold to Captain D’s, LNC Ventures
- Centre Partners to acquire Captain D's