Captain Germán Olano Moreno Air Base
|Captain Germán Olano Moreno Air Base
Base Aérea Capitán Germán Olano Moreno
|IATA: PAL – ICAO: SKPQ|
|Airport type||Military: Air Force Base|
|Operator||Colombian Air Force|
|Location||Palanquero / Puerto Salgar, Colombia|
|Built||August 27, 1933|
|In use||1933 - Present|
|Commander||Brigadier General Guillermo León León|
|Occupants||Comando Aéreo de Combate No. 1|
|Elevation AMSL||173 m / 566 ft|
Captain Germán Olano Moreno Air Base (Spanish: Base Aérea Capitán Germán Olano Moreno) (IATA: PAL, ICAO: SKPQ) is a Colombian military base assigned to the Colombian Air Force (Fuerza Aérea Colombiana or FAC) Combat Air Command No. 1 (Comando Aéreo de Combate No. 1 or CACOM 1). The base is located in Palanquero, near Puerto Salgar, in the Cundinamarca department of Colombia. It is named in honor of Captain Germán Olano Moreno.
In 1932, due to the conflict with Peru, the idea to create a base in a central strategic location was gaining hold. Back then the Hacienda Palanquero was already in use as an airport by the Colombian-German airline Scadta since 1919.
Accidents and incidents
- On 18 February 2009, Basler BT-67 FAC 1670 of the Fuerza Aérea Colombiana crashed near the base on a local training flight. All five crew were killed.
- On 15 May 2009, FAC 3031 Dassault Mirage 5 of the Colombian Air Force crashed above the 36 heading after a failed take-off. The pilot made the emergency procedures and ejected, leaving unharmed.
- Airport information for SKPQ from DAFIF (effective October 2006)
- Airport information for PAL at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective Oct. 2006).
- (Spanish) CACOM 1 - Puerto Salgar (Cundinamarca) - Comando Aéreo de Combate No.1
- (Spanish) Capitán Germán Olano Moreno
- Hitos en la historia de Palanquero
- Reseña Histórica
- "FAC1670 Accident description". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 21 June 2010.
- "Ocho heridos deja el estallido accidental de una granada en un avión policial en Colombia" (in Spanish). Ultima Hora. 18 February 2009. Retrieved 22 June 2010.