|Predecessor||SBC Equity Partners|
|Products||Leveraged buyout, Growth capital|
|Total assets||€1.5 billion|
Number of employees
The firm, which is based in Zurich, was founded in 1990. The firm has raised approximately €1.5 billion since inception across three independent funds as well as two predecessor funds. As of the end of 2008, Capvis and its predecessors have completed 41 transactions with a total volume of over €3 billion.
The firm was founded in 1990 as division of Swiss Bank Corporation, one of the constituent pieces that today is part of UBS AG. From 1990 through 1994, the group had approximately CHF 84 million to invest. Beginning in 1995, the group was branded SBC Equity Partners but was still a wholly owned subsidiary of Swiss Bank Corporation. SBC Equity Partners invested from a CHF 117 million vehicle, SBC Equity Partners Fund.
In 1999, shortly after the merger of Swiss Bank Corporation and Union Bank of Switzerland, the firm began to raise capital from outside investors. This first Capvis fund raised CHF 340 million of investor commitments. While UBS held approximately 40% of the firm's capital, the remainder came from Swiss and international investors.
In 2003, Capvis completed a spinout from UBS, including a buyout of the bank's ownership interest to become a fully independent private equity firm. Subsequently, the firm completed fundraising for a €340 million fund, Capvis II.
In 2008, Capvis raised €600 million for its third independent fund, Capvis III.
- Capvis. Thomson's Acquisitions Monthly, July 1, 2003
- Swiss Capvis closes fund at E340m. AltAssets, June 12, 2003
- Capvis Equity partners closes second fund at €340m. eFinancial News, June 17, 2003
- Capvis Equity III closes on €600m. AltAssets, March 5, 2008
- Turra, Alessandra (26 December 2013). "Capvis Acquires Swimwear Brand Arena". WWD. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- Allianz Capital Partners to sell BARTEC to Capvis. AltAssets, August 6, 2008
- Capvis acquires KVT for €325m., July 21, 2008
- Swiss Capvis backs management buy-out of ORIOR Food Group. AltAssets, Aug 31, 2006
- HgCapital partners with Capvis in €325m acquisition of Koenig Verbindungstechnik. AltAssets, September 19, 2008
- Capvis (company website)
|This article about a private equity or venture capital firm based in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|