|Number of locations||See Cities|
Car2go is a subsidiary of Daimler AG providing carsharing services in European and North American cities. The company offers exclusively Smart Fortwo vehicles and features one-way point-to-point rentals. Users are charged by the minute, with hourly and daily rates available. The service forgoes the typical centralized rental office, and cars are user-accessed wherever parked via a downloadable smartphone app.
Daimler introduced the service in Ulm, Germany in October 2008, where it was developed by one of its internal business innovation units and was first tested exclusively by Daimler employees. As of May 2014, car2go operates over 10,000 vehicles, which serve eight countries and 26 cities worldwide with over 700,000 customers.
The following table details all cities where car2go operates as of June 2014:
|Ulm||Germany||300||Gasoline & Electric||October 2008|||
|Austin||U.S.||300||Gasoline & Electric||May 2010|||
|Vancouver||Canada||700||Gasoline & Electric||June 2011|||
|San Diego||U.S.||300||Electric||November 2011|||
|Washington, D.C.||U.S.||400||Gasoline||March 2012|||
|Portland, Oregon||U.S.||375||Gasoline & Electric||March 2012|||
|Berlin||Germany||1,200||Gasoline & Electric||April 2012|||
|Stuttgart||Germany||500||Electric||November 2012|| |
|London||United Kingdom||Suspended||Gasoline||December 2012|||
|Birmingham||United Kingdom||suspended||Gasoline||May 2013|||
|South Bay, Los Angeles||U.S.||150||Gasoline||June 2014|| |
|Saint Paul, Minnesota||U.S.||185||Gasoline||July 2014|
The car2go business model is similar in all markets, although rates vary by location. The company charges a per minute rate, with discounted fixed rates for hourly and daily usage also available and applied automatically. The rates are all-inclusive and cover rental, gas, insurance, parking (in authorized areas), and maintenance. A low fixed annual fee is sometimes also charged. In most markets, car2go vehicles can park in either specially designated parking spots, or in standard parking areas, with a special permit from the local municipality.
Car2go offers exclusively two passenger vehicles. Their fleet operates two types of Smart Fortwo "car2go edition" vehicles: gasoline-powered; and electric-powered. The gasoline-powered cars can be found in three variants based on roof configuration: "original" with integrated solar panel roof; "upgraded" with a panoramic polycarbonate roof and power side mirrors; and "new" featuring a standard roof. Electric car2go models are currently available in several markets, have a range of 84 miles (135 km), and need to be recharged every two or three days.
First-party and third-party apps for mobile devices allow users to locate and reserve vehicles. When reserving a car online, the customers are able to see the car's fuel gauge (gasoline-powered cars) or the battery's state of charge (electric-powered cars), so if the customer wants to go for an extended drive, they can find the right car for that trip. Customers can choose to refuel a vehicle to gain free usage minutes.
- Stephanie Steinberg and Bill Vlasic (2013-01-25). "Car-Sharing Services Grow, and Expand Options". The New York Times. Retrieved 2013-01-26.
- "Daimler's car2go: Rent a Smart anywhere, anytime". Autoblog.com. Retrieved 2012-12-21.
- Jeremy Korzeniewski (2008-10-21). "Daimler's car2go: Rent a Smart anywhere, anytime". Autoblog.
- "In depth: Daimler's Car2Go program is simple, amazing, but not perfect". Green.autoblog.com. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "eSmart III Production Commences". Fleets and Fuels.com. 2012-06-19. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "UPDATE: car2go car sharing program goes public in Austin, Texas". Gizmag.com. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "smart News » Düsseldorf’s ready for car2go". News.thesmart.co.uk.s112875.gridserver.com. 2012-02-13. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "car2go Canada Ltd. | car2go Poised For Growth in Vancouver This Spring". Newswire.ca. 2012-03-20. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "December Newsletter: Vancouver". car2go. 2012-12-21.
- "Car2go scoops up 6,000 electric car sharers in San Diego in first 100 days". Green.autoblog.com. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "Car2go: a case study for electric carsharing | EV Update". Analysis.evupdate.com. 2012-06-05. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "Car2Go starts in Vienna with contactless technology made in Austria. | NFC Development & Consulting". Nfc.cc. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "Car sharing options growing fast in Vienna". 2014-07-11.
- "Car2go suspends operation in Lyon, France because of name conflict with Car' Go". Green.autoblog.com. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "Daimler's car2go car-sharing service starts in D.C., Portland this month". Green.autoblog.com. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "Portland's Car2go carsharing service starting off well, going electric soon". Green.autoblog.com. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "World's largest Car2Go fleet deployed in Berlin". Green.autoblog.com. 2012-04-30. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "Car2go launches short-term car rentals in Toronto, joining Zipcar, Autoshare, even taxis in moving market". thestar.com. 2012-06-13. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "On The Road: No slowing down for car2go in Calgary". Calgaryherald.com. 2013-07-25. Retrieved 2013-08-22.
- "Car2go opens in Miami today, but there's an unfortunate payment twist". Green.autoblog.com. 2012-07-28. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "car2go Expands to Cologne, Germany - Rental Operations". Auto Rental News. 2012-09-10. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "smart News » Stuttgart says ‘guten tag!’ to car2go". News.thesmart.co.uk.s112875.gridserver.com. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "Stromautos auch bald im Strohgäu". stuttgarter-zeitung.de. Retrieved 2014-04-06.
- "Reif für die Insel: car2go bringt smart(e) Mobilität nach London | Daimler Global Media Site > Mercedes-Benz Cars > smart > car2go". Media.daimler.com. Retrieved 2012-12-21.
- "car2go Introduces a New Way of Carsharing in Seattle, Washington". Retrieved 21 December 2012.
- "Daimler's car2go car-sharing service will launch in UK this fall". Green.autoblog.com. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "Daimler's Car2go carsharing service expands to Los Angeles". Green.autoblog.com. Retrieved 2014-07-09.
- "Car2Go launches car-sharing service in South Bay". www.latimes.com. Retrieved 2014-07-09.
- "car2go Brings Point-to-Point Carsharing to Ohio". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2014-07-09.
- "Car2go inizia il suo viaggio: così raddoppia il car-sharing". la Repubblica Milano. 8 August 2013. Retrieved 9 August 2013.
- "Auto en libre service: car2go arrive à Montréal". Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "Media Advisory - Launch of car2go in Montreal". 2013-10-04.
- http://www.motorionline.com/2014/02/18/car2go-a-roma-il-car-sharing-smart-nella-capitale-entro-la-prossima-pasqua. Retrieved 2014-02-20. Missing or empty
- https://www.car2go.com/en/firenze/. Retrieved 2014-05-10. Missing or empty