Car 54, Where Are You?
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (September 2013)|
|Car 54, Where Are You?|
Opening title sequence
|Also known as||Car 54|
|Created by||Nat Hiken|
|Directed by||Al De Caprio
|Starring||Joe E. Ross
|Theme music composer||Nat Hiken
|Opening theme||"Car 54, Where Are You?"|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||60 (List of episodes)|
|Cinematography||J. Burgi Contner
|Running time||22–24 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Eupolis Productions|
|Distributor||NBC Films (1963–1972)
National Telefilm Associates (1973–1984)
Republic Pictures (1984-1997)
Worldvision Enterprises (1997–1999)
Paramount Domestic Television (1999-2006)
CBS Paramount Domestic Television (2006-2007) CBS Television Distribution (2007-present)
|Original run||September 17, 1961– April 14, 1963|
Car 54, Where Are You? is an American sitcom that ran on NBC from 1961 to 1963, and was about two New York police officers based at the fictional 53rd precinct in The Bronx. Car 54 was their patrol car. The show was filmed only in black-and-white. Episodes had different directors, the most recognized being Al De Caprio. Stanley Prager and Nat Hiken also directed several episodes. Most filming was on location in the New York City borough of The Bronx, and at Gold Medal Studios in The Bronx.
The series follows the adventures of New York Police Department officers Gunther Toody (Joe E. Ross) and Francis Muldoon (Fred Gwynne), assigned to Patrol Car 54 in the fictional 53rd precinct of The Bronx. Toody was short, stocky, nosy, not very bright, and lived with his loud, domineering wife Lucille. Muldoon was very tall, quiet, and more intelligent. He was a shy bachelor who lived with his mother and two younger sisters.
- Gene Baylos
- Sorrell Booke
- Tom Bosley
- Heywood Hale Broun
- Wally Cox
- Dana Elcar
- Dan Frazer
- Alice Ghostley
- Arlene Golonka
- Bruce Gordon
- Margaret Hamilton
- Bob Hastings
- Don Keefer
- Jake LaMotta
- Shari Lewis
- Hal Linden
- Judith Lowry
- Simon Oakland
- Molly Picon
- B.S. Pully
- Charles Nelson Reilly
- Billy Sands
- Maureen Stapleton
- Larry Storch
Many of the scripts were written by Nat Hiken. In 1962, Hiken won an Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Comedy Emmy Award for his work on the series. Hiken had previously produced The Phil Silvers Show that featured Joe E. Ross and Beatrice Pons as a married couple.
The series was originally sponsored by Procter & Gamble.
The TV show's police cars on location shots were actually bright red and white, which appeared as the proper shade of gray for an NYPD car on black-and-white film. NYPD cars of that era were black and green with a white roof and trunk. Two Plymouth Savoys were used as the title vehicle during the series; a 1961 Savoy during the first season, and a 1963 Savoy during the second.
- There's a holdup in the Bronx,
- Brooklyn's broken out in fights;
- There's a traffic jam in Harlem
- That's backed up to Jackson Heights;
- There's a scout troop short a child,
- Khrushchev's due at Idlewild!
- Car 54, Where Are You??
The lyric "Khrushchev's due at Idlewild" referred to Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev arriving in September 1960 at New York's international airport, which was named Idlewild at that time, to attend the United Nations General Assembly. The theme song was parodied in a commercial for Mario Bros. on the Atari 5200.
Car 54, Where Are You? originally aired Sunday at 8:30-9:00 PM on NBC, following Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color.
Primetime Emmy Awards
Car 54, Where Are You? was nominated for four Primetime Emmy Awards, earning one.
- 1961-1962 (presented May 22, 1962)
- Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Comedy: Nat Hiken - Won
- Outstanding Program Achievement in the Field of Humor - Nominated (Winner: The Bob Newhart Show)
- Outstanding Writing Achievement in Comedy: Nat Hiken, Tony Webster, Terry Ryan - Nominated (Winner: Carl Reiner for The Dick Van Dyke Show)
- 1962-1963 (presented May 26, 1963)
- Outstanding Writing Achievement in Comedy: Nat Hiken - Nominated (Winner: Carl Reiner for The Dick Van Dyke Show)
Car 54, Where Are You? began airing on the cable channel Nick at Nite in 1987, and ran on the network until 1990. It also aired on another Viacom-owned cable channel, Comedy Central, in the early 1990s. The show currently airs in the early morning hours of Sundays on Me-TV.
Car 54, Where Are You? was made into a 1994 film, filmed mainly in Toronto, starring John C. McGinley as Muldoon, David Johansen as Toody, and Rosie O'Donnell. The film was made in 1990 but not released until 1994 due to the bankruptcy of Orion Pictures. It was a box office bomb when it was first released and was panned by critics.
Original cast members Lewis and Russell appeared in the film.
In the early 1990s, Republic Home Video releases some episodes on VHS. Shanachie Entertainment said in 2010 it was releasing the first season on DVD in Region 1 on February 22, 2011. The second and final season was released on April 24, 2012.
- Coletta, Charles (2002). "St. James Encyclopedia of Pop Culture: Car 54, Where Are You?". St. James Encyclopedia of Pop Culture.
- Bennett, Bruce (April 12, 2011). "Fifty Years Later, Car 54 Shows Up". The Wall Street Journal. Archived from the original on May 15, 2011. Retrieved September 5, 2013.
- Color publicity photo of Gwynne and Ross with red vehicle, private collection
- "Amadeus music editor and composer John Strauss dies". BBC News. 2011-02-18. Retrieved 2011-02-24.
- "Car 54 Where Are You? The Complete First Season" (Press release). Shanachie Entertainment via TV Shows on DVD. November 29, 2010. Archived from the original on October 17, 2012. Retrieved September 5, 2013.
- Lambert, David (January 11, 2012). "Car 54, Where Are You? - 'The Complete 2nd Season DVD: Date, Cost, Package, Extras!". TV Shows on DVD. Archived from the original on March 19, 2012.
- Car 54, Where Are You?, by Martin Grams, Jr. Albany, 2009. BearManor Media. ISBN 1-59393-340-1.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Car 54, Where Are You?.|