Cara Santa Maria
|Cara Santa Maria|
|Born||Cara Louise Santa Maria
October 19, 1983
Plano, Texas, United States
|Residence||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Alma mater||University of North Texas (B.S., M.S.)|
|Occupation||Science educator, podcaster, producer, writer, television personality|
Cara Louise Santa Maria (born October 19, 1983) is an American science communicator, podcaster, writer, producer and television personality. She is the host of the podcast Talk Nerdy and a co-host of TechKnow on Al Jazeera America. She was the founding science correspondent and host of the "Talk Nerdy to Me" series for The Huffington Post until April 2013. She also co-hosted Take Part Live on Pivot TV from August 1, 2013 until April 17, 2014. She officially joined The Young Turks Network in May 2013.
Santa Maria was born and raised in Plano, Texas, the daughter of a school teacher mother and an engineer father. She is from a Mormon family although she herself is an atheist, and her ancestry consists of English, Italian and Puerto Rican descent.
In 2000, Santa Maria graduated from Plano East Senior High School. She earned a Bachelor of Science degree in psychology from University of North Texas in 2004. After graduating with her Master of Science in neurobiology from UNT in 2007, Santa Maria enrolled in a doctoral program at the City University of New York but dropped out after a year of coursework.
Until 2009, Santa Maria worked as an adjunct college professor and laboratory researcher. She co-produced and hosted a pilot entitled Talk Nerdy to Me for HBO, but it never went to air. Santa Maria has appeared on Larry King Live (CNN), Geraldo at Large (Fox News), Parker Spitzer (CNN), Studio 11 (Fox LA), The Young Turks (YouTube), Attack of the Show! (G4), The War Room with Jennifer Granholm (CurrentTV), LatiNation (CBS), The Nerdist (BBC America), and SoCal Connected (KCET).
Santa Maria co-hosts Hacking the Planet and The Truth About Twisters on The Weather Channel, as well as TechKnow on Al Jazeera America. She is a former host of Take Part Live on the Pivot (TV channel).
She makes regular appearances on popular YouTube programs, such as Stan Lee's FanWars, Wil Wheaton's Tabletop, and The Point. She has also guested on multiple podcasts, such as The Nerdist Podcast, Point of Inquiry, and the Joe Rogan Experience.
- "Texas Births, 1926–1995". Familytreelegends.com.
- "The Huffington Post". The Huffington Post. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- Bora Zivkovic. "Huffington Post Science – interview with Cara Santa Maria". Scientific American. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- Jeff Klima. "The Young Turks Add Dave Rubin & Cara Santa Maria To Their Network". New Media Rockstars. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- JRE #293
- "Texas Obituary and Death Notice Archive". GenLookups. September 4, 2012. Retrieved April 25, 2015.
- "Bransford Family History". Ancestry.com. Retrieved April 25, 2015.
- "Roger Ailes: Soledad O'Brien Was 'Named After A Prison'". The Young Turks. April 13, 2012.
- "Cara Santa Maria profile, The Huffington Post". Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- Predicting The Top News Stories of 2014 – TakePart Live
- Cara Santa Maria appearance on The Point
- Scientific American
- The Times
- Bill Maher & Cara Santa Maria Split
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cara Santa Maria.|