|Abbreviated title (ISO 4)||Carcinogenesis|
|Edited by||Curtis C. Harris|
|Publisher||Oxford University Press|
Carcinogenesis is a peer-reviewed medical journal in the field of cancer biology. It was established in 1980 and is published monthly by Oxford University Press. As of 2010[update], the editor-in-chief is Curtis C. Harris (National Cancer Institute). Carcinogenesis publishes articles in four sections: cancer biology covers the cell and molecular biology of cancer, as well as mutation and DNA repair; molecular epidemiology includes genetic predisposition to cancer; cancer prevention covers chemoprophylaxis as well as dietary factors; and carcinogenesis covers all forms of carcinogens, including their metabolism and detection in the environment. Authors can pay to have their articles released freely online as part of a hybrid open access scheme. Free or reduced-rate online access is available to educational institutions in low-income countries.
The journal was established in 1980 by R. Colin Garner (University of York) and Anthony Dipple (National Cancer Institute). The original scope of Carcinogenesis was defined in the first issue as research relating to "the prevention of cancer in man", and the journal was conceived from the outset as a multidisciplinary journal, with the intention of encouraging the "cross-fertilization of ideas" across the "very broad spectrum of scientific endeavour" of cancer research. In 2008, the journal added the subtitle "Integrative Cancer Research" to reflect its multidisciplinary scope.
Abstracting and indexing 
Carcinogenesis is abstracted and indexed in Biological Abstracts, BIOSIS Previews, CAB Abstracts, Chemical Abstracts, Current Contents/Life Sciences, BIOBASE – Current Awareness in Biological Sciences, EMBASE, Excerpta Medica, Global Health, MEDLINE, ProQuest, and the Science Citation Index. According to the Journal Citation Reports, the journal has a 2011 impact factor of 5.702, ranking it 23rd out of 194 journals in the category "Oncology".
- Editorial Board, Oxford University Press, retrieved 17 August 2010
- About the journal, Oxford University Press, retrieved 17 August 2010
- Oxford Open participating titles, Oxford University Press, retrieved 17 August 2010
- Harris CC. (2010), "Editorial", Carcinogenesis 31: 1, doi:10.1093/carcin/bgp302, retrieved 17 August 2010
- Developing Countries Initiatives, Oxford University Press, retrieved 17 August 2010
- Anon. (1980), "Front matter", Carcinogenesis 1 (1), retrieved 17 August 2010
- Garner C, Dipple A. (1980), "Editors' Note", Carcinogenesis 1 (1), retrieved 17 August 2010
- Harris CC. (2008), "Editorial", Carcinogenesis 29: 1, doi:10.1093/carcin/bgm257, retrieved 17 August 2010
- Anon. (1981), "Front matter", Carcinogenesis 2 (1), retrieved 17 August 2010
- Anon. (1982), "Front matter", Carcinogenesis 3 (1), retrieved 17 August 2010
- A history of journals publishing at Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, retrieved 17 August 2010
- "Journals Ranked by Impact: Oncology". 2011 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Science ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2012.