|Community of Cardiff-by-the-Sea
|Elevation||79 ft (24 m)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature ID||1656451 |
Cardiff-by-the-Sea, usually referred to as Cardiff, is a beach community located in Encinitas, bordering Solana Beach to the south in San Diego County, California. The Pacific Ocean is to the west of Cardiff, Encinitas on its east and north, and a beach and lagoon on its south. With a population of under 12,000, Cardiff-by-the-Sea operates as part of the city of Encinitas, but unlike the other communities that comprise Encinitas, has its own ZIP code (92007).
In 1911, this former farming community began to develop Cardiff, when developer J. Frank Cullen broke ground to build new homes. It is reported by the Cardiff Chamber of Commerce that it was Frank Cullen's wife, a native of Cardiff, Wales, who persuaded him to name the community, "Cardiff". Many streets in Cardiff bear names this English-born landowner grew up with in his native UK. The names of, "Birmingham", "Oxford", "Chesterfield" and "Manchester" are major streets in this city.
According to the 2010 Census, Cardiff-by-the-Sea is 71% white, 21% Hispanic, 3% Asian, 1% African-American and 4% Other 
Cardiff is also home to a few well-known surf spots, such as Swami's and Cardiff Reef.
Cardiff is part of the city of Encinitas, which is governed by a five-member city council, elected at-large to staggered four-year terms at two-year intervals.
Cardiff School District
Cardiff has a school district consisting of two schools:
Cardiff Reef ("The Reef") is a popular surf spot in Cardiff that produces waves both professional and novice surfers enjoy year round. Surfing at The Reef has progressed from just a few surfers in the 1950s to become one of the most popular surfing spots in San Diego County. Cardiff Reef and nearby surf spot, Pipes, are famous for their smooth and consistent wave shape.
When the tide is low, a flat rock reef is revealed that extends 50 yards from shore. Exploring these tide pools is a popular activity for visitors of Cardiff.
- Mark Allen, former professional triathlete
- Jon Foreman, singer/guitarist for Switchfoot
- Lyn-Z Adams Hawkins, professional skateboarder
- Peter Laszlo, All-American Golfer at UCLA
- Chalmers Johnson, historian and author of the Blowback trilogy
- Jonathan Jones, Singer for the bands Waking Ashland and We Shot the Moon
- Frances Lee, silent film actress
- Rob Machado, professional surfer
- Marion Ross, actress
- "Cardiff-by-the-Sea". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey. Retrieved 2009-02-04.
- Some Cardiff History from the Cardiff Chamber of Commerce
- "Mapping America — Census Bureau's 2005-9 American Community Survey". The New York Times. December 13, 2010.
- "Will Gerrymandered Districts Stem the Wave of Voter Unrest?". Campaign Legal Center Blog. Retrieved 2008-02-10.
- "Cardiff School District". Retrieved May 20, 1010.
- "IRONMAN TRIATHLON : Mark Allen Wins, Gains Confidence". Los Angeles Times. Associated Press. October 8, 1990. Retrieved May 24, 2011.
- CardiffByTheSea.org - Information center and chamber of commerce.
- Cardiff By The Sea Weather - Cardiff By The Sea Weather
- U.S. Census Bureau Fact Sheet for Cardiff-by-the-Sea