Cardiff School of Art & Design
|Cardiff School of Art & Design|
|Location:||Howard Gardens, Cardiff, Wales|
|Dean:||Professor Gaynor Kavanagh Dphil Mphil MFA|
Cardiff School of Art & Design (CSAD) is one of the five schools that comprise Cardiff Metropolitan University (also known as UWIC).
About CSAD 
Cardiff School of Art & Design opened in 1865 as the Cardiff School of Art, and is the oldest constituent part of Cardiff Metropolitan University. It operates on the Llandaff Campus, as well as on its own site at Howard Gardens. It was assessed as one of the top 40 destinations to study art and design in the UK by guardian.co.uk in 2010.
CSAD has nine 'Subject' areas: Fine Art, Ceramics, Architectural Design & Technology, Product Design, Graphic Communication, Illustration, Drawing, Textiles and a history and theory subject area called Constellation. All of its 'Subjects' can be studied at undergraduate, (BA/BSc) postgraduate (MA/MDes/MFA/MSc) and at research degree level (PhD) or Professional Doctorate (PDoc). CSAD has a number of partner colleges who deliver its Art & Design Foundation Diploma, HNCs, Foundation Degrees and a further BA on its behalf. CSAD has a jointly delivered MDes in Experience Design with the Samsung Art and Design Academy in South Korea as well as a number of other partnerships as far away as Los Angeles and Australia.
In the Summer of 2014 CSAD will move into a new purpose built building with extensive studios and workshops at the Universities Llandaff Campus.
CSAD is affiliated with the Association of Commonwealth Universities, European University Association, and University Alliance. It is also home to the Centre for Fine Art Research and also the Centre for Ceramic studies.
Subjects at CSAD 
- Denotes Programme no longer recruiting
Architectural Studies BScHons Architectural Design Technology. BScHons Building Maintenance Management*. BaHons Interior Architecture*. MSc Ecological Practices: Building. MDes. MA. PDoc Ecological Practices: Building. PDoc Design. Mphil/PhD.
Artist Designer: Maker BaHons Artist Designer: Maker. MDes. MFA. MA. PDoc Art. PDoc Design. Mphil/PhD.
Ceramics BaHons Ceramics. MA Ceramics. MDes. MFA. MA. PDoc Art. PDoc Design. Mphil/PhD.
Constellation MDes. MFA. MA Communication. MA Art & Science. MA Philosophy. MA Ecologies. PDoc Design. PDoc Art. Mphil/PhD.
Fine Art BaHons Fine Art. MFA. MA. PDoc Art. Mphil/PhD.
Graphic Communication BaHons Graphic Communication. MDes. MA.. PDoc Design. Mphil/PhD.
Illustration BaHons Illustration. MDes. MFA. MA. PDoc Design. PDoc Art. Mphil/PhD.
Photographic Practice BaHons Photographic Practice (Taught at Bridgend College).
Product Design BaHons Product Design. MSc Advanced Product Design. MDes. MDes (SADI). MA. PDoc Design. Mphil/PhD.
Textiles BaHons Textiles (from 2012). BaHons Contemporary Textiles Practice*. MDes. MFA. MA. PDoc Design. PDoc Art. Mphil/PhD.
Music Technology and Media BaHons Music Production and Technology*. BScHons Music Production and Technology*. BaHons Media Studies and Visual Cultures*.
Much of the school's Art and Design research is conducted through the Wales Institute for Research in Art and Design (WIRAD). In the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise the Art & Design panel rated 95% of the research submission as international standard, with 70% rated as either Internationally Excellent or World Leading.
Cardiff Open Art School 
The Cardiff Open Art School (COAS) is part of the School, and runs classes in photography, ceramics, life drawing, printmaking and several other disciplines for part-time students in the Cardiff area.
In June 2010, the CSAD Summer Degree Show was voted the best in the UK for painting by Artists and Illustrators magazine.
In 2009, CSAD won both a HEIST bronze award and a best publication award at the Association of Commonwealth Universities Annual Marketing and Communications awards.
Global Partnerships 
Samsung Art & Design Institute (SADI) 
Cardiff School of Art & Design and the Samsung Art & Design Institute offer a trans-national Master of Design (MDes). Students study component parts in for this Masters degree in both Cardiff and Seoul and a system of free study and research exchange exists between the two institutions. A new Professional Doctorate in Design which will act as a doctoral extension of the Masters award will commence in October 2012.
Notable staff 
- Glyn Jones, head of the School of Fine Art from 1972 to 2001. Credited with rescuing the 56 Group Wales.
- Terry Setch, senior lecturer in painting 1964 - 2001. Later RWA and RA member.
Notable alumni 
- Phil Carradice, writer and broadcaster
- David Emanuel, fashion designer and honorary fellow of UWIC
- Harry Greene, teacher, actor, TV DIY expert
- Ross Lovegrove, industrial designer
- Julien MacDonald OBE, fashion designer
- Karl Hyde, singer composer with Underworld
- Marty St. James, internationally renowned performance and video artist
- Nathan Wyburn, became known for his portraits made from food, appearing on Britain's Got Talent in 2011.
- "The History of Cardiff Metropolitan University". CMU. Retrieved 2012-02-02.
- "Cardiff, University of Wales Institute". The Independent. 6 July 2009. Retrieved 5 August 2010.
- "Study in Wales University UK Postgraduate Study at Wales University, London, England". Global Opportunities. Retrieved 27 July 2010.
- Guardian League Tables
- "University of Wales Institute, Cardiff". 4International Colleges and Universities. Retrieved 27 July 2010.
- "Introduction - Cardiff School of Art and Design". saatchi-gallery.co.uk. Retrieved 27 July 2010.
- Research areas & RAE assessment results
- June 2010 issue
- Press Release
- Moore, David (2012). A Taste of the Avant-garde: 56 Group Wales 56 Years. Crooked Window. pp. 35, 78–80. ISBN 978-0-9563602-1-2.
- Martin Holman, Terry Setch, Lund Humphries, Surrey (2009), ISBN 978-1-84822-023-2, Chronology pp 147/8.
- Cardiff School of Art & Design Webpage
- Cardiff School of Art & Design on Facebook
- Wales Institute for Research in Art and Design (WIRAD)