Cardiff West services
|Cardiff West Services|
|The main building.|
Cardiff West services is a motorway service station on junction 33 of the M4 motorway and the Capel Llanilltern junction of the A4232 near Cardiff, Wales. It is owned by Moto. In 2008, the services won the AA Patrol Approved Awards for best toilet.
The services has previously acted as a site for escorting fans to Cardiff City FC games, because of travelling restrictions imposed on away fans visiting the city. These restrictions were relaxed in 2010, but the services continued to act as a sales point for match vouchers. Subsequently, the services has become well known to Cardiff City fans, particularly after a prominent appearance in the situation comedy Gavin and Stacey.
In 2004, the services was the site of several protests over the rise in fuel duty. In May, 50 heavy goods vehicles (HGVs) entered the services' car park as the ending point of a "go slow" demonstration along the M4. In June, the site was chosen as a meeting place for another protest. 150 HGVs made a journey from the services to the centre of Cardiff.
- "Special patrol to judge cafe award". Wales Online. 14 November 2008. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- "Bristol City escape bubble for Cardiff City trip". The Bristol Post. 14 January 2010. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- "Protocol for matches". Bristol City FC. 19 January 2010. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- "Cardiff Ticket Details". Leeds United FC. 24 August 2012. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- "Cardiff City match preview". West Ham United FC. 2 March 2012. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- BBC Radio 5 Live (2012). The League Doesn't Lie: The 606 Book of Football Lists. Random House. p. 320. ISBN 9781446417706.
- "Hauliers' threat over refineries". BBC News (BBC). 28 May 2008. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- "150 trucks join fuel protest". Daily Telegraph. 5 June 2004. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- "Fuel protest convoy hits city". BBC News (BBC). 5 June 2004. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- Parry, Ryan (15 February 2010). "Rugby star arrested for buggy prank". Daily Mirror. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- Moto Official Site - Cardiff West
- Motorway Services Trivia Site - Cardiff West
- Motorway Services Online - Cardiff West
- Motorway Services Info - Cardiff West
|Motorway service stations on the
|This Wales road or road transport-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Welsh building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|