Cardinals created by Francis
Pope Francis (r. 2013–present) held the first consistory of his pontificate on 22 February 2014, where raised 19 to the rank of cardinal. For the first time, a Pope Emeritus, Benedict XVI, attended a consistory.
22 February 2014
On 31 October 2013, Pope Francis announced plans to name new cardinals in a consistory on 22 February 2014. In December 2013, he said that rumors that he might name a woman cardinal were not to be taken seriously. He announced the names of 19 new cardinals on January 12, 2014. Sixteen were under the age of 80, eligible to vote in papal conclaves. Observers attempting to interpret Francis' approach to naming cardinals noted the absence of certain names, including the heads of the dioceses of Venice and Turin and the Vatican Librarian and Archivist. Others noted a preference for clerics with pastoral experience and only a single theologian, Müller. John L. Allen said the choices made the February meeting the "Consistory of the Periphery", noting the "broad global distribution" of the new cardinals. Of the nomination of the archbishop of Perugia rather than those of more prestigious dioceses like Turin and Venice, La Stampa said: "Any career planners in the Church who had the path from the seminary to the cardinalship set out very clearly in their minds will have to think again."
Pope Francis sent a letter to each cardinal-designate that said:
The cardinalship does not imply promotion; it is neither an honour nor a decoration; it is simply a service that requires you to broaden your gaze and open your hearts.... Therefore I ask you, please, to receive this designation with a simple and humble heart. And, while you must do so with pleasure and joy, ensure that this sentiment is far from any expression of worldliness or from any form of celebration contrary to the evangelical spirit of austerity, sobriety and poverty.
Those made cardinal at the consistory were:
Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI attended the consistory. He doffed his zucchetto when Pope Francis came down the nave of St. Peter's Basilica to greet him, and took a seat in a row with several cardinals using a chair the same as theirs. Loris Francesco Capovilla was granted a dispensation and did not attend the consistory.
Prior to the consistory, there were 106 cardinals under the age of 80 and eligible to participate in the election of a pope. Another 10 will turn 80 in the course of 2014. The maximum of participants in a papal conclave, though often waived, is set at 120.
14 February 2015
On 11 December 2014, the Vatican announced that new cardinals would be created at a consistory on 14 February 2015.
- "New Cardinals to be created in February 2014". 31 October 2013. Retrieved 27 December 2013.
- Allen Jr., John L. (15 December 2013). "Francis shoots down women cardinals". National Catholic Reporter. Retrieved 28 December 2013.
- "Pope Francis announces names of new Cardinals". Vatican Radio. 12 January 2014. Retrieved 13 January 2014.
- D'Emilio, Frances (January 12, 2014). "Pope Names 19 New Cardinals, Focusing on the Poor". ABC News. Retrieved January 12, 2014.
- Reese, Thomas (January 13, 2014). "Cardinals: continuity and change". National Catholic Reporter. Retrieved January 14, 2014.
- Winters, Michael Sean (January 13, 2014). "The New Cardinals". National Catholic Reporter. Retrieved January 14, 2014.
- Allen, John L. (January 13, 2014). "Four new echoes in 'Francis revolution'". National Catholic Reporter. Retrieved January 14, 2014.
- Galeazzi, Giacomo (15 January 2014). "The importance of Gualtiero Bassetti's nomination". Vatican Insider. Retrieved 23 January 2014.
- Tornielli, Andrea (January 13, 2014). "Francis reminds new cardinals their nomination is not about promotion it is about service". Vatican Insider.
- Galeazzi, Giacomo (22 February 2014). "19 new cardinals created in Consistory in the presence of two Popes". Vatican Insider. Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- McElwee, Joshua J. (February 22, 2014). "Under Benedict's eye, Francis tells cardinals to be peacemakers". National Catholic Reporter. Retrieved February 24, 2014.
- Tornielli, Andrea (February 24, 2014). "The "hidden" Pope's first step towards normality". Vatican Insider. Retrieved February 24, 2014.
- Tornielli, Andrea (19 February 2014). "Loris Capovilla will not receive the biretta in Rome". Vatican Insider. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- Tornielli, Andrea (20 October 2013). "Francis' first consistory". Vatican Insider. Retrieved 28 December 2013.
- "Consistory for the creation of new cardinals in February 2015". Vatican News. 11 December 2014. Retrieved 12 December 2014.
|Find more about
Cardinals created by Francis
at Wikipedia's sister projects
|Media from Commons|
|Database entry Q15622048 on Wikidata|