Carel Struycken in 2009.
July 30, 1948 |
The Hague, Netherlands
|Height||7 ft 0 in (2.13 m)|
Carel Struycken (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈkaːrəɫ ˈstrœy̆kə(n)]; born July 30, 1948) is a Dutch film, television, and stage actor. He is best known for playing the Giant in Twin Peaks, Mr. Homn in Star Trek: The Next Generation and Lurch in the films The Addams Family, Addams Family Values and Addams Family Reunion. He is an exceptionally tall man at 2.13 metres (7 feet) and thus is often called upon to play character or comedic roles in which height plays a major part.
Carel Struycken was born in The Hague, Netherlands. When he was four years old his family moved to Curaçao, an island in the Caribbean. There, at age 15, he composed several Caribbean waltzes. At 16 he returned to his home country, where he finished secondary school. He graduated from the directing program at the film school in Amsterdam. Following that, he spent a year at the American Film Institute in Los Angeles. Struycken's height is due to acromegaly.
Struycken collaborated on a number of projects with writer/director Rene Daalder, including the 1986 punk rock musical Population: 1, which featured Tomata du Plenty of The Screamers and which was released on DVD in October 2008.
In 1978 Struycken was "discovered" as an actor at the corner of Hollywood and Vine in Los Angeles by a lady who had abandoned her car in the middle of the street, calling after him: "We need you for a movie!". The movie was Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.
Struycken appeared as Fidel in the 1987 film The Witches of Eastwick. That same year, he appeared as Mr. Homn in "Haven", an episode of the television series Star Trek: The Next Generation, a role he would reprise in four more episodes until 1992.
- Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1978)
- Go West, Young Man (1980)
- Die Laughing (film) (1980)
- The Prey (1984)
- Ewoks: The Battle for Endor (1985) (TV film)
- The Witches of Eastwick (1987)
- Night of the Kickfighters (1988)
- Framed (1990) (TV film)
- Servants of Twilight (1991)
- The Addams Family (1991)
- Journey to the Center of the Earth (1993 film) (1993) (TV film)
- Addams Family Values (1993)
- Oblivion (1994)
- Out There (1995) (TV film)
- Under the Hula Moon (1995)
- Oblivion 2: Backlash (1996)
- Men in Black (1997)
- I Woke Up Early The Day I Died (1998)
- Addams Family Reunion (1998) (Video)
- Enemy Action (1999)
- Tinnef (2000) (Video)
- The Vampire Hunters Club (2001) (Video)
- Science Fiction (2002 film) (2002)
- Fatal Kiss (2002) (TV film)
- The War of the Starfighters (2003)
- The Fallen Ones (2005) (TV film)
- Sinterklaas en het Geheim van het Grote Boek (2008)
- St. Elsewhere (1988), Season 6 episode "Fairytale Theater", as "The Giant"
- Twin Peaks (1990–1991), as "The Giant"
- Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987–1992), as "Mr. Homn"
- Babylon 5 (1994), Season 2 episode "Soul Mates", as "Trader"
- Star Trek: Voyager (1996), Season 2 episode "The Thaw", as "Spectre"
- Charmed (2002), Season 4 episode "Womb Raider", as "Tall Man"
- My Name Is Earl (2006), Season 2 episode "Sticks & Stones", as "Paul"
- Cold Case (2010), Season 7 episode 14 "Metamorphisis", as "Lester 'Gargantuan' Smith"
- Carel Struycken tells the anecdote about his discovery as an actor in an interview on the daily Dutch TV show De Wereld Draait Door, October 2, 2006 (at 41:08 min.)
- Struycken, Carel.Spherical Panomramas. Retrieved July 21, 2012.
- Picture Bubbles Blog. Retrieved July 21, 2012.
- Source for filmography: Carel Struycken, accessed on October 3, 2006
- Carel Struycken: Leaning Toward the Paleolithic, by Christopher Nyerges, The Backwoodsman Magazine, July/August 2013, Vol.34 No. 4, published by Backwoodsman Magazine, Fulton, Texas. Pages 26-27