February 11, 1961 |
Huntington, New York, U.S.
|Education||Bear Creek High School|
|Alma mater||University of Colorado at Boulder
New York University
Lowell was born in Huntington, New York, the daughter of geologist James Lowell. She spent much of her childhood living in locales including Libya, the Netherlands, France, and in the US, in Houston, Texas and Denver, Colorado, where her family settled when she was 12. After a year at the University of Colorado at Boulder, where she majored in literature, she moved to New York City to pursue modeling, and modeled for such clients as Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein, and at some unspecified time attended New York University. She also studied at Manhattan's Neighborhood Playhouse School of the Theatre.
Lowell broke into acting with a small role in the Robin Williams movie Club Paradise. She went to roles including those of Bond girl Pam Bouvier in the James Bond movie Licence to Kill (1989) and, starting in 1996, Assistant District Attorney Jamie Ross on the television drama Law & Order, a character she reprised in 2005 for a guest role on its spinoff, Law & Order: Trial by Jury. Immediately before that role, however, she had become frustrated with her acting career and had applied to study documentary filmmaking at New York University.
Lowell married actor Richard Gere in November 2002, following the birth of their child Homer James Jigme Gere, who was born in February 2000. Lowell, like her husband, is a supporter of preserving the culture of Tibet, and practices Tibetan Buddhism. A September 2013 New York City newspaper report said they had been living in separate homes for some time by then: Gere at their house in Bedford, New York, and Lowell at their estate Strongheart in North Haven, New York, on Long Island.
- Dangerously Close (1986)
- Club Paradise (1986)
- Down Twisted (1987)
- Me and Him (1989)
- Licence to Kill (1989)
- The Guardian (1990)
- Road to Ruin (1991)
- Sleepless in Seattle (1993)
- Love Affair (1994)
- Leaving Las Vegas ... Bank Teller ... (1995)
- Duke of Groove (1996) TV Movie
- Fierce Creatures (1997)
- Big Apple (2001)
- More Than Meets the Eye: The Joan Brock Story (2003) TV Movie
- Law & Order (49 episodes, 1996–2001)
- Law & Order: Trial by Jury (2005)
- Empire Falls (2005)
- Six Degrees (2006–2007)
- 007 Legends (2012) Video Game Voice-over
- "Carey Lowell Biography (1961-)". FilmReference.com. Retrieved September 25, 2013. Note: Source gives birthplace as "New York, NY (some sources say Huntington, NY)," but few if any sources corroborate this.
- Jewel, Dan (February 21, 2000). "Role Change". People. Retrieved September 25, 2013.
- "Carey Lowell (Assistant DA Jamie Ross, 1996-1998)". Law & Order official site (TNT). Retrieved September 26, 2013.
- Gerston, Jill (December 21, 1997). "A Cupcake Grows Into One Tough Cookie". The New York Times. Retrieved September 26, 2013.
- "Carey Lowell". Rovi via The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-12-20.
- "Carey Lowell Guest Stars on NBC's "Law & Order: Trial by Jury," Friday April 8th, 10pm ET/PT" (Press release). NBC via TheFutonCritic.com. April 6, 2005. Retrieved September 26, 2013.
- "Passages: Gere, Lowell Get Married". People. November 15, 2002. Retrieved September 25, 2013.
- Dan Jewel (February 21, 2000). "Role Change". People. Retrieved 2010-12-20.
- "Richard Gere: Man of masks". The Independent. 1 December 2007. Retrieved 2010-12-20.
- "Gere, Lowell Calling It Quits". "Page Six" (column), New York Post. September 25, 2013. Retrieved September 26, 2013.
- "Strongheart". Sotheby's International Realty. Retrieved September 26, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Carey Lowell.|
- CareyLowel.net (Possible, unconfirmed official site)
- Carey Lowell at the Internet Movie Database
- Carey Lowell at AllMovie
- Courrier, Kevin; Green, Susan (1999). Law & Order: The Unofficial Companion — Updated and Expanded. Renaissance Books; 2nd edition. p. 135-136. ISBN 978-1580631082.