The Cargill family is one of the richest families in the world, holders of Cargill, the largest privately held corporation in the United States. The family members are the descendants of William W. Cargill, who started the company in Iowa after the Civil War.
The Cargill family owns 90% of the company. The exact wealth of the family is unknown, because, as Cargill company is privately owned, they are under no obligation to disclose their wealth.
Two branches of the Cargill family exist. Following the death of William W. Cargill, his son-in-law, John MacMillan, saved the company from a debt crisis. The MacMillans are estimated by Forbes to be worth $1.2 billion each. The wealth of James Cargill and Margaret Cargill were estimated to be $1.8 billion each. In 2006, W. Duncan MacMillan, James Cargill, and Margaret Cargill all died.
Descendants of William W. Cargill
Cargill married Ellen "Ella" Theresa Stowell, and they had four children:
- William "Will" Samuel Cargill, who married Mary MacMillan
- Edna Clara Cargill (1871–1963), who married John H. MacMillan Sr (1869–1940)
- John H. MacMillan Jr (1895–1960), who married Marion Dickson (1892–1980)
- Cargill MacMillan Sr (1900–1968), who married Pauline Whitney (1900–1990)
- Emma Cargill, who married Fred M. Hanchette
- Austen Cargill (died 1957), who married Anne Ray
Some of the family members include:
- Cargill MacMillan Jr had an estimated net worth of $4.3 billion. He was born in Hennepin County, Minnesota 29 March 1927. He was married with four children. MacMillan died on November 14, 2011.
- Whitney MacMillan has an estimated net worth of $4.3 billion and led the company from 1976 to 1995.
- Pauline MacMillan Keinath, has an estimated net worth of $4.3 billion. She was born 31 July 1934 in Hennepin County, Minnesota.
- James R. Cargill II, has an estimated net worth of $1.6 billion. His hometown is Birchwood, Wisconsin.
- Mary Janet Morse Cargill, had an estimated net worth of $1.6 billion. She lived in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Her hometown was Minneapolis, Minnesota. She was widowed, and had three children. She died on February 5, 2010.
- Marianne Cargill Liebmann, has an estimated net worth of $1.6 billion. She studied at Montana State University, where she received a Bachelor of Arts.
- Austen S. Cargill II, has an estimated net worth of $1.7 billion. He has two children. He attended Oregon State University and University of Minnesota. He lives in Livingston, Montana.
- Margaret Anne Cargill (September 24, 1920 - August 1, 2006), was a philanthropist.
- "The Richest People You've Never Heard Of". Forbes.com. 2007-06-01. Retrieved 2010-08-03.
- "#1 Cargill". Forbes.com. 2009-10-28. Retrieved 2010-08-02.
- "The billionaires you don't know - MSN Money". Articles.moneycentral.msn.com. 2007-06-06. Retrieved 2010-08-02.
- "Cargill tree". Forbes. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "Cargill MacMillan Jr., Agribusiness Heir, Dies at 84". The New York Times. 2011-11-15.
- [dead link]
- "The 400 Richest Americans 2009". Forbes.com. 2009-09-30. Retrieved 2010-08-02.
- "#220 James R. Cargill II - The Forbes 400 Richest Americans 2009". Forbes.com. 2009-09-30. Retrieved 2010-08-02.
- [dead link]
- "#220 Marianne Cargill Liebmann - The Forbes 400 Richest Americans 2009". Forbes.com. 2009-09-30. Retrieved 2010-08-02.
- [dead link]