|Carina Dwarf Spheroidal|
|Observation data (J2000 epoch)|
|Right ascension||06h 41m 36.7s|
|Declination||−50° 57′ 58″|
|Redshift||230 ± 60 km/s|
|Distance||330 ± 30 kly (100 ± 10 kpc)|
|Apparent dimensions (V)||23′.4 × 15′.5|
|Apparent magnitude (V)||11.3B|
|Carina Dwarf, PGC 19441|
|See also: Galaxy, List of galaxies|
The Carina Dwarf Spheroidal is a dwarf galaxy in the Carina constellation. It was discovered in 1977 with the UK Schmidt Telescope by Cannon et al. The Carina Dwarf is receding from the Milky Way at 230 km/s and is a satellite galaxy to the Milky Way. The galaxy may also be referred to as ESO 206-G20 or PGC 19441. It appears to have formed several billion years after the formation of the other satellite galaxies of the Milky Way as its older stars are younger than 7 billion years. This makes it a relatively youthful galaxy when compared to the Milky Way, which is estimated to have formed 13.6 billion years ago, or nearly as old as the Universe itself. It probably has a complex star formation history, with three possible distinct bursts of star formation. It is also being tidally disrupted by the Milky Way galaxy.
- Carina Dwarf
- Observations of Tidal Disruption of the Carina Dwarf Spheroidal Galaxy
- The Carina Dwarf on WikiSky: DSS2, SDSS, GALEX, IRAS, Hydrogen α, X-Ray, Astrophoto, Sky Map, Articles and images
- "Hiding in Plain Sight — the elusive Carina Dwarf Galaxy". ESO Picture of the Week. European Southern Observatory. Retrieved 28 June 2011.
- "NASA/IPAC Extragalactic Database". Results for Carina Dwarf Spheroidal. Retrieved 2006-11-29.
- I. D. Karachentsev, V. E. Karachentseva, W. K. Hutchmeier, D. I. Makarov (2004). "A Catalog of Neighboring Galaxies". Astronomical Journal 127 (4): 2031–2068. Bibcode:2004AJ....127.2031K. doi:10.1086/382905.
- Karachentsev, I. D.; Kashibadze, O. G. (2006). "Masses of the local group and of the M81 group estimated from distortions in the local velocity field". Astrophysics 49 (1): 3–18. Bibcode:2006Ap.....49....3K. doi:10.1007/s10511-006-0002-6.
- "Carina Dwarf". Retrieved 2007-10-13.
- R. D. Cannon, T. G. Hawarden, S. B. Tritton; Hawarden; Tritton (1977). "A new Sculptor-type dwarf elliptical galaxy in Carina". Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 180: 81–82. Bibcode:1977MNRAS.180P..81C.
- The Satellite Galaxies
- Hurley-Keller, Dennise; Mario Mateo and James Nemec (1998). "The Star Formation History of the Carina Dwarf Galaxy". The Astronomical Journal 115: 1840. arXiv:astro-ph/9804058. Bibcode:1998AJ....115.1840H. doi:10.1086/300326.
- Kuhn, JR; Horace A Smith and Suzanne L Hawley (1996). "Tidal Disruption and Tails from the Carina Dwarf Spheroidal Galaxy". The Astrophysical Journal 469: L93–L96. Bibcode:1996ApJ...469L..93K. doi:10.1086/310270.
|This galaxy-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|