|Birth name||Carlton George Douglas|
10 May 1942 |
Carlton George Douglas (born 10 May 1942), also known by his stage name Carl Douglas, is a Jamaican recording artist. Douglas rose to prominence after releasing his single "Kung Fu Fighting".
Douglas' career was based in the United Kingdom, where his single "Kung Fu Fighting" ranked number one in both the U.K. Singles Chart and the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 in 1974. The single sold 11 million copies worldwide, making it one of the best-selling singles of all time. The single was later a certified gold by the RIAA on 27 November 1974.
The single, which is an homage to martial arts films, has overshadowed the rest of Douglas' career; resulting in his appearance on cover versions of the single. In the United States, Douglas was considered a "one-hit wonder" since he was only known for "Kung Fu Fighting". However, in the United Kingdom, he has two other singles that made it into the "Top 40", which were "Dance the Kung Fu", which peaked at number 35 in the charts; and "Run Back", which peaked at number 25.
The single "Dance The Kung Fu", was later sampled by DJ Premier on his 2007 remix of Nike's 25th Air Force One anniversary single "Classic (Better Than I've Ever Been)", featuring Kanye West, Nas, KRS-One and Rakim. Douglas is represented by music publisher Schacht Musikverlage (SMV) in Hamburg, Germany.
- List of artists who reached number one on the UK Singles Chart
- List of artists who reached number one in the United States
- List of artists who reached number one on the Australian singles chart
- List of 1970s one-hit wonders in the United States
- James Ellis. "Biddu". Metro. Retrieved 2011-04-17.
- Malika Browne (20 August 2004). "It's a big step from disco to Sanskrit chants, but Biddu has made it". The Sunday Times. Retrieved 2011-05-30.
- Murrells, Joseph (1978). The Book of Golden Discs (2nd ed.). London: Barrie and Jenkins Ltd. p. 344. ISBN 0-214-20512-6.
- Eric Woolfson Obituary, The Independent
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums. London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 167. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Schacht Musikverlage on Myspace
- "SMV | Schacht Musikverlage". Smv.de. Retrieved 2012-02-10.
|This article on a singer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|