Carl Mitcham (born 1941) is a philosopher of technology. Mitcham is a Professor of Liberal Arts and International Studies at the Colorado School of Mines and a professor at the European Graduate School in Saas-Fee.
Life and work
Mitcham was educated at the University of Colorado (BA, MA) and Fordham University (PhD). Teaching appointments include Berea College (Kentucky), St. Catherine College (Kentucky), Brooklyn Polytechnic University, and Pennsylvania State University. Mitcham was a conscientious objector during the Vietnam War.
Mitcham has worked to promote ethical reflection on technology, and "aspires to advance philosophical, ethical, and policy understanding within the relevant and overlapping professional communities in ways that may deepen democratic public intelligence."  Mitcham has a long history of work in engineering ethics and the theory and practice of interdisciplinary education and research. Mitcham was also one of the founders of New Directions: Science, Humanities, Policy .
Mitcham has also engaged in the translation of notable philosophical works; for example, in 2004, he translated "Fundamentos de la Meta-Técnica" ("The Foundations of Meta-Technics") by Venezuelan philosopher Ernesto Mayz Vallenilla.
In November 2006 Mitcham received the international World Technology Network award for Ethics.
On May 26, 2010, Prof. Mitcham received the Doctor <<Honoris Causa>> award by the Valencian International University (Valencia, Spain). Prof. López Cerezo made a Eulogy and Prof. Mitcham read the speech entitled "Ethics and Technology: The Axial Age".
Mitcham has authored and co-authored numerous publications. Books, a selection:
- Mitcham, Carl, and Robert Mackey, eds. Philosophy and technology. Free Press, 1972.
- Mitcham, Carl. Thinking through technology: The path between engineering and philosophy. University of Chicago Press, 1994.
- Frodeman, R., Klein, J.T., & Mitcham, C. (2010) The Oxford handbook of interdisciplinarity. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2010.
Articles, a selection:
- Morse, Janice M., et al. "Concept analysis in nursing research: a critical appraisal." Research and Theory for Nursing Practice 10.3 (1996): 253-277.
- Hupcey, J. E., Penrod, J., Morse, J. M., & Mitcham, C. (2001). An exploration and advancement of the concept of trust. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 36(2), 282-293.
- Strijbos, Sytse, and Carl Mitcham. "Art.Systems and Systems Thinking." Carl Mitcham (Hg.):Encyclopedia of science, technology, and ethics, Thomson Gale (2005): 1880-1884.
- Fisher, Erik, Roop L. Mahajan, and Carl Mitcham. "Midstream modulation of technology: governance from within." Bulletin of Science, Technology & Society 26.6 (2006): 485-496.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Carl Mitcham.|
- Carl Mitcham @ European Graduate School. Biography, bibliography and lectures.
- Carl Mitcham @ Colorado School of Mines. Hennebach Program in the Humanities.
- Carl Mitcham. Science, Democracy and Philosophy on YouTube. 2008. Video lecture at European Graduate School