He was a member of several expeditions:
- The meteorological expedition 1882-83 to Nuuk led by Adam Paulsen,
- The naturalist expedition to West Greenland with Eugenius Warming and Theo Holm in 1884 on the schooner Fylla
- J. A. D. Jensen's 1885 expedition
He led an expedition to the Upernavik Distrikt in 1886-1887 and, most famously, the 1891-1892 expedition to East Greenland by the vessel Hekla. The way north from Ittoqqortoormiit was effectively blocked by ice. Instead, Ryder made the first comprehensive mapping of the entire Scoresby Sund fjord system.
He married Ida Caroline Helene Clara Wolff in 1888.
- The Danish Scientific Expedition of 1884 in the Gunboat "Fylla". Proceedings of the Royal Geographical Society and Monthly Record of Geography, 7 (3), (1885): pp. 177-180 full text
- Ostermann, H. (1982). Ryder, C. H.. In: Dansk biografisk Leksikon v. 12: pp 485-86.
- Ryder, C. H. (1895-1925). Den Østgrønlandske Expedition udført i Aarene 1891-92 under Ledelse af C. Ryder, vol. 1-3 [The East Greenland Expedition in the years 1891-92 led by C. Ryder]. Meddelelser om Grønland (in Danish). 17-19.