Carl Wilhelm August Groos House (San Antonio)
Carl Wilhelm August Groos House
|Location||Bexar County, Texas|
|Part of||King William Historic District (#72001349)|
|NRHP Reference #||72001349|
|Added to NRHP||January 20, 1972|
The Carl Wilhelm August Groos House is located in the Bexar County city of San Antonio in the U.S. state of Texas. It was designated a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1977. Designed by Alfred Giles in 1880, the building contractor was John H. Kampmann. Giles used a Victorian Gothic Revival on this limestone home. Groos had immigrated from Germany to Texas in 1848, at which time he and his brothers started a freighting firm. In 1871, he built the Carl W. A. Groos House in New Braunfels. In 1872, he and his family settled in San Antonio. Groos married Hulda Amalie Moureau and became a founding member of the Groos National Bank. In 1880, Groos hired Giles to build his San Antonio home. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places listings in Bexar County, Texas as a contributing structure of the King William Historic District . Groos died in 1893 and is interred at San Antonio City Cemetery No. 1. In 1957, the house was purchased by the San Antonio Council of the Girl Scouts of the USA. The Girl Scouts sold the home to Charles Butt. It has been restored and is in private ownership.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2008-04-15.
- "THC-RTHL Carl Wilhelm August Groos House". Texas Historical Commission. Retrieved 20 August 2011.
- Zelade, Richard (2011). Lone Star Guide to the Texas Hill Country. Taylor Trade Publishing. pp. 48–51. ISBN 978-1-58979-609-6.
- York, Miriam. "Carl (Karl) Wilhelm August Groos". Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association. Retrieved 20 August 2011.
- "King William Historic District". Texas Historical Commission. Retrieved September 19, 2012.
- Carl Wilhelm August Groos at Find a Grave
- Cartwright, Gary (June 1986). "The Snootiest Neighborhood in Texas". Texas Monthly: 165.