|Alma mater||Yale University|
Carl Zimmer (born 1966) is a popular science writer and blogger, especially regarding the study of evolution and parasites. He has written several books and contributes science essays to publications such as The New York Times, Discover, and National Geographic. He is a fellow at Yale University's Morse College.
Besides his popular science writing, Zimmer also gives frequent lectures, and has appeared on many radio shows, including National Public Radio's Radiolab, Fresh Air and This American Life. He has won many awards, including the 2007 National Academies Communication Award, a prize for science communication from the United States National Academy of Sciences, for his wide-ranging coverage of biology and evolution in newspapers, magazines and his blog. In 2009 and 2010 he was host of the periodic audio podcast Meet the Scientist of the American Society for Microbiology (replacing Merry Buckley).
- American Association for the Advancement of Science's Science Journalism Award 2004, 2009, and 2012
- The Pan American Health Organization's Award for Excellence in International Health Reporting
- American Institute Biological Science's Media Award
- Everett Clark Award for Science Writing
- John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation Fellowship
- United States National Academy of Sciences Communication Award
- Mr. Carl Zimmer is a member of the USA Science & Engineering Festival's Nifty Fifty, a collection of the most influential scientists and engineers in the United States that are dedicated to reinvigorating the interest of young people in science and engineering.
- At the Water's Edge (1999) ISBN 0-684-85623-9
- Parasite Rex: Inside the Bizarre World of Nature's Most Dangerous Creatures (2001) ISBN 0-7432-0011-X
- Evolution: The Triumph of an Idea (2001) ISBN 0-06-019906-7
- Soul Made Flesh (2004) ISBN 0-7432-3038-8
- Smithsonian Intimate Guide to Human Origins (2005) ISBN 0-06-082961-3
- Microcosm: E. coli and the New Science of Life (2008) ISBN 0-375-42430-X
- The Tangled Bank: An Introduction to Evolution (2009) ISBN 0-9815194-7-4
- Brain Cuttings (2010) ASIN: B0045U9UFM (electronic book)
- A Planet of Viruses (2011) ISBN 0-226-98335-8
- Science Ink: Tattoos of the Science Obsessed (2011) ISBN 978-1-4027-8360-9
- Evolution: Making Sense of Life (2012), co-authored with Douglas Emlen. ISBN 1-936-22117-9
- O'Leary, Maureen (2007-10-01). "National Academies press release". United States National Academy of Sciences. Retrieved 2007-11-01.
- Josh Romero (February 2007). "Backgrounder: John Rennie and Carl Zimmer". Bullpen (NYU Department of Journalism). Retrieved 2011-06-01.
- Congratulations to Carl Zimmer
- USA Science & Engineering Festival's Nifty Fifty.
- CarlZimmer.com The official homepage of Carl Zimmer. Includes a biography, an article archive of essays, events, and detailed descriptions of his books, including excerpts and illustrations
- Phenomena: The Loom Carl Zimmer's blog at National Geographic
- List of video conversations and debates with Zimmer and various people on Bloggingheads.tv
- Color images of viruses from his book, A Planet of Viruses
- Useful career advice for those looking to get into Science Journalism offered by Carl Zimmer