Carla Azar of Autolux at the LA Weekly Detour Music Festival, 6 October 2007
|Genres||Alternative rock, electronic|
|Instruments||Drums, vocals, guitar, keyboard|
|Labels||ATP Recordings & TBD Records|
|Associated acts||Autolux, PJ Harvey & John Parish, Vincent Gallo, Jack White,|
Carla Azar is an American musician and a member of the band Autolux. Azar is a multi-instrumentalist but is known primarily for playing drums in Autolux. She has collaborated with the artist/painter Mark Whalen, (also known as Kill Pixie) on several art exhibitions from 2009-2011, creating music for installation rooms for the artist. Azar is also known for playing with Jack White, contributing drums on Jack White's 2012 album, Blunderbuss, and his follow up album Lazaretto, as well as touring with him.
Carla Azar spent time in her early career playing and touring with Wendy & Lisa, and was a credited performer on the albums "Fruit at the Bottom" (1989) and "Eroica" (1990). She was credited as a drummer on The Waterboys' 1993 album "Dream Harder" and appeared with lead singer Mike Scott in the video for the single 'The Return of Pan' from that album.
The band Autolux formed in 2001 in Los Angeles, California. Azar met Eugene Goreshter while scoring Nobel Prize winner Dario Fo's play Accidental Death of an Anarchist. Azar met Greg Edwards when Azar's previous band toured with Edwards' former band Failure. In August 2000, Autolux made their debut, playing two shows at the Silverlake Lounge. On March 1, 2001, the band released a self-produced EP entitled Demonstration. It contained five songs recorded on an 8 track in their rehearsal space.
In January 2008, Azar entered the studio along with PJ Harvey, John Parish, Eric Drew Feldman and, Giovanni Ferrario to provide drums on the follow-up to Harvey and Parish's 1996 collaboration Dance Hall at Louse Point.
- Come to Where I'm From by Joseph Arthur (2000)
- Fan Dance by Sam Phillips (Nonesuch Records) (2001)
- A Boot and a Shoe by Sam Phillips (Nonesuch Records) (2004)
- Curtains by John Frusciante (Record Collection) (2005)
- The True False Identity by T-Bone Burnett (DMZ) (2006)
- A Woman a Man Walked By by PJ Harvey and John Parish (2009)
- The People's Key by Bright Eyes (Saddle Creek Records) (2011)
- "Tomorrow Never Knows" (with Alison Mosshart) from the Sucker Punch soundtrack (2011)
- Blunderbuss by Jack White (Third Man) (2012)
- Lazaretto by Jack White (Third Man) (2014)
- Carla Azar at AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- Spirit of Atlanta website
- Blue Devils website
- Wiederhorn, Jon (2005-07-27). "Trent Reznor Boosts Autolux From Clubs To Arenas". MTV.com. Retrieved 2007-05-05.
- Ankeny, Jason. Biography of Autolux at AllMusic. Retrieved 2007-05-05.
- "vincent gallo : MUSIC NEWS". Retrieved 2007-05-26.
- "Music: T Bone Burnett's The True False Identity In Stores May 16". Rubber Magazine. Retrieved 2007-05-26.
- "John Frusciante - Curtains". Discogs. Retrieved 2007-05-26.
- Polly To Hit The Studio With John Parish
- "Jack White Kicks Off His Solo Tour in Chattanooga Pictures - Carla Azar". Rolling Stone.