The Law of One
|Part of a series on|
|Part of a series of articles on|
The Law of One, also known as the The Ra Material, is a series of five philosophical monographs published between 1982 and 1998 by Schiffer Books. The publishers attribute the books to Don Elkins, Jim McCarty, and Carla L. Rueckert. The authors themselves, however, claim that the books are transcripts of dialogs between Don Elkins and a non-human intelligence named Ra, which answered Elkins' questions through the New Age process of channeling. Ra describes itself as an entity composed of an entire civilization of extraterrestrial beings that share one consciousness.
Carla L. Rueckert spoke the words of "Ra" by entering a non-conscious state (which the authors called an "unconscious trance") and being "used" as an "instrument" by the extraterrestrial being. Don Elkins would ask her questions, and she would speak in response. Her answers were taken to be direct communications from Ra, which is in line with standard views on channeling. The material in the books conveys an elaborate philosophy, reminiscent of Hindu spirituality, called The Law of One. The basic claim of the book series is that "All is One", or that all things that exist are ultimately the same thing. The five books explore this premise in relation to many aspects of life including: philosophy, religion, spirituality, cosmology, anthropology, history, politics, physics, biology, geology, and the paranormal.
Sociologists consider the book series to represent a convergence of the pseudosciences of UFOlogy and New Age channelling [Citation needed]. UFO culture speculates that extraterrestrial beings are visiting now, or have been visiting Earth in the past, while New Age culture is understood as a Western colonial appropriation of Eastern spirituality. The convergence of these two cultures produces a mélange of beliefs that synthesize spiritual concepts from Hinduism (in particular) with stories of aliens and flying saucers. In line with other religious sects that mix UFOlogy with New Age spirituality, The Law of One books claim that the purported author, Ra, is both a higher spiritual being from the "sixth density" as well as an extraterrestrial being who visited Ancient Egypt using flying saucers and helped construct the pyramids. All of these beliefs have been strongly denounced by Professor Ross of NYU as either counterfactual or without substantiation.
It states the universe was created by the One Infinite Creator—out of itself—by distorting its energy into the parts of existence called "distortions". The process occurred one distortion at a time, in a specific order.:16.12, 76.15
- The first distortion created by the Creator is called Free Will
- The second is Love
- And the third is Light.
Ra describes each star system, star or planet as a creation of an intelligence called a Logos.:28.7 The Logoi create many sub-Logoi. One sub-Logos would be our sun.:54.7 The sub-Logoi, in turn, create sub-sub-Logoi. Human beings being an example of sub-sub-Logoi.:29.7 Each Logos, sub-Logos, and sub-sub-Logos is a microcosm of the Creator. The Logos created seven levels of progression for spiritual evolution, and Ra called each of these levels a density or densities.
Secondary sources have interpreted densities in a variety of ways. Some have described it as a "dimension" as in "a higher dimension of reality." A density differs markedly from the Cartesian notion of dimension. But the description of a density as a dimension, as utilized in other sources is problematic, especially due to the fact that the books have occasionally used the term "dimension" in equality with density. Some have described it as a physical concept in addition to a non-physical concept, while others describe it as entirely non-physical. In any case, all commentators agree that different densities are associated with different forms of consciousness and different phenomenological ways of being.
- The first density is the density of the elements (Earth, Water, Air, Fire) (or in scientific terms: solids, liquids, gases and plasma).:13.16
- The second density is the density of organic life: plants, animals, bacteria, etc.:9.13
- The third density is the density which human beings inhabit. It is the density of self-awareness. It is also the density of duality, through which the individual chooses their polarity of service.
- The fourth density is the density of love and like all subsequent densities, is inhabited by mind/body/spirit complexes of a higher level of spiritual evolution than human beings on present day Earth.
- The fifth density is the density of light or wisdom. Wherein contemplation and introspection are learned to an even more refined degree.
- The sixth density is the density of unity consciousness, where love and wisdom are united, where all other polarities are united.
- The seventh density is the gateway density, the last density before mind/body/spirit complexes merge back into the Creator.:16.19
- The eighth density is the beginning of the next octave. Where the journey begins again.:28.14
Ra claims that humans are composed of a mind, a body, and a spirit, and therefore would refer to an individual human as a "mind/body/spirit complex". Ra says that humans, along with the Earth, are going through a process called harvest. This included statements that there are many other living beings in the universe that are similar to humans but differ in body, intelligence, culture, and spiritual evolution. These beings, like humans, are referred to as mind/body/spirit complexes.
Ra's claims that individuals from other densities have incarnated on Earth to contribute to the harvest.:12.26-12.31 Ra expressed that all mind/body/spirit complexes, after being formed in third density, progress upward through the densities as they evolve spiritually, until they become one with the Creator at the end of seventh density. This evolution is accomplished in a series of incarnations into a body.
In order to progress from third density to fourth density, individuals must make a choice between service to others or service to self: or, in ordinary language, between altruism and selfishness. The purpose of third density is to make this choice. The purpose of experiencing the sometimes harsh environment of 3rd density, no matter which location in the universe, is in order to make this choice of service and thus progress.:16.12, 76.15
As entities evolve, they progressively balance and unblock their "energy centers" which directly correspond to the chakras. The Law of One series includes an extensive discussion of these energy centers.
- Muladhara is called red-ray.
- Svadhisthana is called orange-ray.
- Manipura is called yellow-ray.
- Anahata is called green-ray.
- Vishuddhi is called blue-ray.
- Ajna is called indigo-ray.
- Sahasrara is called violet-ray.
Additionally to this, humanity and the Earth are undergoing a transition from third density to fourth density. This transition is linked to a process called harvest. This involves a "quantum leap" within our physical reality, said to occur approximately 30 years from the time of the 1981 Ra dialogues. One of the dialogues mentions a general time frame of 100 to 700 years for "transition on Earth from third density to fourth density".
Moral choices are discussed through the concept of polarity. Ra explains that there are two polarities: service to self, and service to others. These two polarities approximately relate to the everyday concepts known as evil and good, or selfishness and altruism.
"Service to Others" is described in terms of an energy center configuration where the green-ray center radiates out toward other beings. This results in compassion, love feelings, and acts of service toward others.
"Service to Self" is described in terms of an energy center configuration where the green-ray center is pointed mainly inward. This energy center configuration causes the entity to feel love for itself, but not for others. These feelings lead to self-serving intentions and actions, or "service to self."
Ra views the Earth as a living being that has a mind, free will, and grows over time both physically and spiritually. He explains that the Earth is currently in the process of changing from third density to a fourth density planet.:6.14–6.19
Tarot & Archetypal Mind
A big part of the series covers the (intuitive) study of the local Logos' archetypes, which are highly reminiscent of the work of Carl Jung. Ra claims the Tarot system originates from Ra's home planet, Venus and that the Major Arcana of the Tarot was used as a general referent and means of studying one's own progress. Originally, the Major Arcana was just a conglomerate of archetypal images that were supposed to be memorized. It is only later, when introduced to Sumerian and Egyptian civilizations, that the Tarot system came to get settled into the card format it is today.
The book series centers around the "harvest", which is described as a major spiritual and physical change that will occur on Earth around the year 2011. Consider year of channeling session where Harvest is mentioned whilst adding thirty years as mentioned in session #6.
6.17 Questioner: Is this inconvenience imminent within a few years? Ra: I am Ra. This inconvenience, or disharmonious vibratory complex, has begun several of your years in the past. It shall continue unabated for a period of approximately three oh, thirty , of your years.
(Editor's note: Januray 24th, 1981 + 30 = 2011)
6.18 Questioner: After this thirty-year period I am assuming we will be a fourth-dimension or fourth-density planet. Is this correct? Ra: I am Ra. This is so.
Social Memory Complex Ra, Law Of One Series, Session 6, Questions 17 & 18.
The Law of One book series has influenced many other (New Age) published authors. For instance, New York Times bestselling author David Wilcock has cited The Law of One series as seminal in the formation of his belief that the year 2012 would see some kind of major spiritual and physical change for Earth. When the year 2012 came and went, David Wilcock pushed his predictions further into the future.
The work presented in the Law of One series has been reinterpreted and reused by New Age authors that had limited understanding of the material in general. This has spawned the overused saluted of "Love & Light" among New Agers.
The Law of One has been described as "the most widely cited set of channeled materials" and it has been influential in the development of spiritual concepts such as polarity, spiritual evolution through densities, and wanderers.
- Library of Congress. http://lccn.loc.gov/82012967
- Newton, Peter. "Are You Seeking the Light or Just Dancing With the Dark?".
- Valerian, Valdamar (1994). Matrix IV : The Equivideum (IV). Leading Edge Research. ISBN B008OJ2T5I Check
- Greenfield, Allen. SECRET CIPHER of the UFOnauts. ISBN 978-1411667594.
- Mandelker, Scott (2000). From Elsewhere: Being E.T. in America. Citadel Press. ISBN 978-1559723046.
- Elkins, Don (1984). The Ra Material: An Ancient Astronaut Speaks (The Law of One , No 1). The Law of One I. Schiffer Publishing. ISBN 978-0898652604.
- Rueckert, Carla L (1987). A Channeling Handbook. ISBN 978-0945007074.
- Topper, Michael. "BOOK REVIEW: A Channeler's Handbook by Carla L. Rueckert".
- Wilcock, David (2012). The Source Field Investigations: The Hidden Science and Lost Civilizations Behind the 2012 Prophecies. Plume. ISBN 0-525-95204-7.
- Knight-Jadczyk, Laura. The Secret History of the World and How to Get Out Alive. ISBN 978-1897244364.
- Ra (1982). The Law of One: Book II (Law of One) (Bk. 2). The Law of One II. Schiffer Publishing. ISBN 978-0924608094.
- Ra (1982). The Law of One, Book Three : By Ra an Humble Messenger (Bk. 3). The Law of One III. Schiffer Publishing. ISBN 978-0924608087.
- Ra (1991). Law of One, Book IV. The Law of One IV. Schiffer Publishing. ISBN 978-0924608100.
- McCarty, James Allen (2000). The Law of One Book V: Personal Material - Fragments Omitted from the First Four Books. The Law of One V. Schiffer Publishing. ISBN 978-0924608216.
- Andrew Ross (1991). Strange Weather: Culture, Science, and Technology in the Age of Limits. Verso. pp. 39–. ISBN 978-0-86091-567-6. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- "The Law of One Session 1". lawofone.info. Retrieved 27 January 2013.
- Koven, Jean-Claude (2004). Going Deeper. Prism House Press. ISBN 978-0972395458.
- Tyman, Stephen. A Fool's Phenomenology: Archetypes of Spiritual Evolution. ISBN 978-0761833567.
- Wicherink, Jan (2008). Souls of Distortion Awakening: A convergence of science and spirituality. Piramidions. ISBN 978-90-813047-2-6.
- Wyllie, Timothy. "Into the Still Center".
- Cook, Richard C (2013). Return of the Aeons: The Planetary Spiritual Ascension. CreateSpace. ISBN 978-1479364268.
- Gnosis (1995). The Inner Planes. A Journal of the Western Inner Traditions. Gnosis 36. Gnosis.
- Brodsky, Barbara. The Aaron/Q'uo Dialogues: An Extraordinary Conversation Between Two Spiritual Guides. ISBN 1556439954.
- Rueckert, Carla L. A Wanderer's Handbook. ISBN 978-0945007166.
- Beachy, Marcia. This Divine Classroom: Earth School and the Psychology of the Soul. ISBN 978-1418482824.
- Mandelker, Scott. Universal Vision: Soul Evolution and the Cosmic Plan. ISBN 978-0970198501.
- Bishop, Kitty. The Tao of Mermaids: Unlocking the Universal Code With the Angels and Mermaids. ISBN 978-1452500645.
- [Arthur] Check
|authorlink=value (help). With the Tongues of Men and Angels: A Study of Channelingl. Holt Rinehart and Winston (March 1991). p. 60. ISBN 9780030471643.
- Last, Walter. "The Spiritual Path".
- Redfield, Dana. The ET-human link. ISBN 978-1571742056.
- Free, Wynn (2004). The Reincarnation of Edgar Cayce?. Frog Books. ISBN 978-1583940839.
- Rueckert, Carla L. Living the Law of One - 101: The Choice. ISBN 0945007213.
- "The Law of One, Energy Centers". Lawofone.info. Retrieved 2011-12-03.
- Schlemmer, Phyllis (1994). The Only Planet of Choice: Essential Briefings from Deep Space. Gateway Books. ISBN 1858600235.
- "Law of One and 2012: The Facts!". divinecosmos.com. Retrieved 2012-12-13.
- "The Law of One Session 40". lawofone.info. Retrieved 27 January 2013.
- Frazier, Wade. "Serving Ourselves and Serving Others".
- Tarot According to the Law of One. http://www.thirddensity.com/tarot/
- The Coice, Tarot according to the Law of One. http://www.lawofone.info/results.php?c=Tarot&su=The+Choice#The+Choice
- Thomas, Nick (2012). Eh na?: An inquiry into the relationship between rationality any mysticism. White Crane Publishing.