Life and work
Born in Mantua, Italy,in the year 1947, Sozzani graduated from Bocconi University, Milan. While attending University in the late 60’s and early 70’s, she began working as an editor for several Italian fashion magazines.
In the following decade, Sozzani was editor-in-chief for all Italian Vogue's special issues working with photographers and artists Sarah Moon, Herb Ritts, Bruce Weber, Paolo Roversi, Robert Mapplethorpe, Williamo Wegman and Deborah Turbeville.
In 1987 Sozzani launched Italian Elle as editor in chief, where she worked with photographers Steven Meisel, Nick Knight, Peter Lindbergh, Juergen Teller ; the illustrators Mats Gustafson and Francis Berthoud.
In 1989 Sozzani met American artist Kris Ruhs, beginning a collaboration in both their lives and work.
In 1990 she started Galleria Carla Sozzani at 10 Corso Como in Milan. Her first published book was on Walter Albini, and was followed by books on Pierre Cardin, Rudi Gernreich, Paco Rabanne and photography catalogs.
She subsequently oversaw more than 250 exhibitions of photography and design, showcasing the works of artists including Man Ray, Horst, Annie Leibovitz, Helmut Newton, David La Chapelle, Jean Prouvè, Marc Newson, Shiro Kuramata, Loretta Lux and Robert Polidori.
In 1991, other spaces within 10 Corso Como joined the Galleria, including a fashion and design store, an expanded bookstore, a café restaurant with city garden, a hotel named Three Rooms and a roof garden.
In 2000 Sozzani started a collaboration with lifelong friend Azzedine Alaïa on the brand Alaïa.
In 2001 she edited the book “Talking to Myself” with Yohji Yamomoto which was published by Carla Sozzani and Steidl. She curated the photography exhibition at the MEP in Paris.
- "Carla Sozzani Enjoys Some Seaside Solitude". Wall Street Journal. 25 February 2011.
- "10 Corso Como and Liberty join forces". Daily Telegraph. 22 January 2012.
- "An interview with Carla Sozzani". The New York Times. 25 September 2011.
- "'I feel best in Paris or Portofino'". Financial Times. 18 August 2007.
- "La Dolce Vita; A former Vogue editor on why art is at the heart of her home.". Daily Mail. 28 August 2006.
- "About". Galleria Carla Sozzani. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- "Les jeunes stylistes n'ont pas envie de souffrir". Le Monde. 29 February 2012.
- "It's academic / Fashion students at Academy of Art compete for an internship in Paris with Azzedine Alaia". San Francisco Chronicle. 22 May 2005.
- "Hotel Couture from Christian Lacroix". Travel and Leisure. June 2004.
- "Boutique shopping in Milan". Condé Nast Traveller. May 2004.
- "10 Corso Como home page". 10corsocomo.com. Retrieved 2012-07-18.
- "The 31 Places to Go in 2010". New York Times. 7 January 2010.
- "10 Corso Como to Open Second Seoul Location". Women's Wear Daily. 13 February 2012.
|This business-related Italian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|