Carlisle Township, Lorain County, Ohio
|Carlisle Township, Lorain County, Phio|
Municipalities of Lorain County, Ohio
|• Total||24.6 sq mi (63.7 km2)|
|• Land||24.4 sq mi (63.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.6 km2)|
|Elevation||758 ft (231 m)|
|• Density||300.8/sq mi (116.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086505|
Located in central Lorain County, it borders the following townships and cities:
- Elyria Township - north, west of Elyria city
- Elyria - north, east of Elyria Township
- North Ridgeville - northeast corner
- Eaton Township - east
- Grafton Township - southeast corner
- LaGrange Township - south
- Pittsfield Township - southwest corner
- New Russia Township - west
- Amherst Township - northwest corner
Parts of two municipalities extend into Carlisle Township: the city of Elyria in the north, and the village of Grafton in the southeast. As well, the unincorporated community of Brentwood Lake lies in far eastern Carlisle Township.
Name and history
It is the only Carlisle Township statewide.
Carlisle Township was established in 1822.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Lorain County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 14 May 2007.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.