|Carlo A. Pelanda|
April 17, 1951 |
|Alma mater||University of Trieste|
|Profession||Economist, University Professor, Entrepreneur|
Pelanda received a Doctorate in Political Science from the University of Trieste. He specialized in Strategic Studies, International Scenarios, and Systems Theory. He is currently an Adjunct Professor of International Relations at the University of Georgia and teaches International Political Economy. He is a frequent columnist in Italian newspapers including Il Foglio, Il Tempo, L'Arena, Il Sussidiario.
In his last book, The Grand Alliance (2007), Pelanda argued that the system of world governance built on US dominance, the Dollar, and Western international institutions is crumbling. The United States is still the single most powerful country in the world but is now too "small" to maintain its role as global governor as it has done since 1945. The world has become too big to be governed by one power. Current trends show that divergent regional blocks and meganations are being formed. This will weaken the governance of the global economy and its security problems, increasing the risk of destabilisation over the entire planet.
Pelanda has initiated a research project to identify an international political architecture able to maintain world stability. The project recommends a future alliance of the world's largest democracies: the United States, countries of the European Union, Russia, India, and Japan. The gradual convergence of military and economic power within these nations will produce credible global governance based on Western and technical values. Concurrently, Pelanda argues that such convergence requires a shift in the European Union from a passive to active role in international relations.
- Ohio State University (1981)
- University of Delaware, Disaster Research Center (1986–1987)
- ISIG, Gorizia (1977–1989)
- University of Trieste (1978–1980, 1984–1988)
- LUISS, Rome (1989–1993)
- University of Forlì, Bologna (1995)
- John Cabot University, Rome (1998, 2004)
- University of Georgia, School of Public and International Affairs, (1982–1986, 1988–present)
- Co-Director, GLOBIS, Center for the Study of Global Issues, University of Georgia (1992–present)
Advisory and Other Positions
- Senior Strategist, Anchorage Group AG, Zurich (2009)
- Advisory Committee, Fondazione Farefuturo, Rome, (2007–present)
- Consultant, Rolls Royce, London and Rome (2007–present)
- Consultant, Consip, Rome (2006–present)
- Member,European Advisory Board, Rolls Royce, Paris and London, (2003–2006)
- Consultant, Ministry of Defence, A. Martino (2001–2005)
- Member, Scientific Council of Anpa, Ministry of Environment, Rome (2001–2002)
- Extraordinary Member, Higher Council for Ministry of Communications, (1999–present)
- Coordinator of the White Paper, Repubblica e Canton Ticino, Bellinzona (1997–1998)
- Expert for the foundation of the Banco Bilbao Vizcaya (FBBV), Madrid (1996–2000)
- Expert, Scientific Committee, Confindustria, Rome (1996–1998)
- President, National Association of Good Government, Rome (1996–2007)
- Consultant, Ministry of Finance, G. Tremonti (1994)
- Consultant, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, B. Andreatta (1993)
- Consultant for the President of the Republic (F. Cossiga) (1990–1991)
- Director of Research Projects for the Military Center for Strategic Studies, CASD, Rome (1988–1996)
- Scientific advisor to the UN Secretary General in reference to the projects of the International Decade for Natural Disaster Reduction (IDNDR, New York and Geneva (1988–1990)
- The Grand Alliance, Franco Angeli, 2007.
- Democrazia Attiva (Active Democracy), Franco Angeli, 2006.
- Sovranità & Fiducia (Sovereignty & Confidence: Principles for a New Global Political Architecture), Sperling & Kupfer, 2005. (with Paolo Savona)
- L'Arte dell'Impresa (The Art of Management), Sperling & Kupfer, 2004. (with Mattia Cielo)
- Futurizzazione (Futurization), Sperling & Kupfer, 2003.
- Sovranità & Ricchezza(Sovereignty & Wealth. How to Fill the Vacuum of Globalization), Sperling & Kupfer, 2001.
- Lo Stato della Crescita (The Growth State: For a Global Alliance between State and Market), Sperling & Kupfer, 2000.
- Evoluzione della Guerra(Evolution of War), Angeli, 1996.
- Il Fantasma della Povertà (The Specter of Poverty), Mondadori, 1995. (with Edward Luttwak & Giulio Tremonti)
- The Grand Alliance, Franco & Angeli, 2007.
- Official Website of Carlo A. Pelanda
- Globis: Center for the Study of Global Issues, University of Georgia
- University of Georgia: School of Public and International Affairs
- Article in Il Sussidiario, "The Chinese Obama "sells" human rights and dumps Europe"
- Carlo Pelanda on YouTube