Carlos Sánchez Moreno
Sánchez playing for Valenciennes in 2011
|Full name||Carlos Alberto Sánchez Moreno|
|Date of birth||February 6, 1986|
|Place of birth||Quibdó, Colombia|
|Height||1.82 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Playing position||Defensive midfielder|
|2005–2007||River Plate Montevideo||40||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 10 January 2015.
† Appearances (Goals).
Carlos Alberto Sánchez Moreno (born 6 February 1986) is a Colombian professional footballer who plays for Aston Villa as a defensive midfielder. He is nicknamed La Roca (The Rock), due to his strength on the pitch.
In the summer of 2005, Sánchez joined fellow league team River Plate Montevideo. He featured in 40 matches during his two-year spell, scoring once.
In July 2007 Sánchez was bought by a group of investors and was assigned to Rangers de Talca, subsequently moving abroad for the first time in his career, by agreeing to a five-year deal with French Ligue 1 side Valenciennes. He made his debut on 4 August, starting in a 3–1 home win against Toulouse.
Sánchez featured regularly for the side in his debut campaign, and was an ever-present figure during the following seasons. In March 2010, he damaged his anterior cruciate ligament, being sidelined nearly a year.
After making 148 appearances for the club, scoring 8 goals in the league, Sánchez left the club in the summer of 2012 when his contract expired. After long negotiations with Bolton Wanderers and West Ham United, he failed to reach an agreement with any club, and subsequently rejoined his former club Valenciennes on 25 August 2012.
On 16 August 2013, Sánchez signed a three-year deal with Elche CF, freshly promoted to La Liga, for a €3.7 million fee. He made his debut on the 24th, starting in a 1–1 home draw against Real Sociedad.
On 15 August 2014 Aston Villa announced the signing of Sánchez on a four-year contract for a reported fee of £4.7 million. His first Villa appearance came when he replaced Charles N'Zogbia as a substitute in the 62nd minute of the second game of the season – a goalless draw with Newcastle United. After coming on as a substitute against Hull and Liverpool, Sanchez made his first start for Aston Villa against Arsenal at Villa Park, after a illness ruled out some of his teammates. After being an unused sub for the next 3 games, he broke back into the starting 11. Carlos quickly became a fan favorite, living up to his "the rock" nickname. His composure and calm on the ball, along with his defensive play quickly won the Villa fans over. Since the 1-0 victory over Crystal Palace, Sanchez has started every game.
He made his international debut against Panama on 9 May 2007. He was then included in the 34-man provisional squad for the Copa América 2007, but later dropped for the final list. He was in the first team for all of Colombia's matches for 2010 FIFA World Cup qualification including the 2–1 victory over Argentina on November 20, 2007 in Bogotá. He played in all five of Colombia's matches in the FIFA World Cup finals in Brazil in 2014.
- As of match played 13 December 2014
|River Plate Montevideo||2005–06||Uruguayan Primera División||14||0||—||—||14||0|
|2006–07||Uruguayan Primera División||26||1||—||—||26||1|
|Aston Villa||2014–15||Premier League||12||0||0||0||1||0||13||0|
- "Barclays Premier League Player Profile". web page. Premier League. 2014. Retrieved 30 October 2012.
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil ™ – List of Players, FIFA.com, Retrieved 07/01/2014
- Blessure de Carlos Sanchez (Carlos Sánchez's injury); Valenciennes' official website, 24 March 2010 (French)
- Trotters aren't plonkers: Bolton abandon Sanchez chase as his price doubles; Daily Mirror, 7 August 2012
- Carlos whisper: West Ham plot cheeky swoop for Colombia's Sanchez; Daily Mirror, 1 August 2012
- Valenciennes : C.Sanchez en prêt (Valenciennes: C. Sánchez on loan); Mercato 365, 25 August 2012 (French)
- Carlos Sánchez: "Di mi palabra al Elche y aquí estoy" (Carlos Sánchez: "I gave my word to Elche and here I am"); Elche's official website, 16 August 2013 (Spanish)
- El Elche ficha al colombiano Carlos Sánchez (Elche signs Colombian Carlos Sánchez); Las Provincias, 5 August 2013 (Spanish)
- Zurutuza despierta a la Real (Zurutuza awakes Real); Marca, 24 August 2013 (Spanish)
- "Carlos Sanchez". Soccerbase. Retrieved 18 December 2014.
- "C. SÁNCHEZ". Soccerway. Retrieved 18 December 2014.