Carlos Carrasco (baseball)
|Cleveland Indians – No. 59|
March 21, 1987 |
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|September 1, 2009 for the Cleveland Indians|
(through September 15, 2014)
|Earned run average||4.52|
Carrasco was signed as an undrafted free agent on November 25, 2003 by the Philadelphia Phillies. In 2006, Carrasco spent the entire season at the Single-A level with the Lakewood BlueClaws, compiling a 2.26 ERA in 159.1 innings pitched. He split time in 2007 between the Single-A Clearwater Threshers and the Double-A Reading Phillies. Carrasco compiled a 2.84 ERA in 69.2 innings pitched at Clearwater and a 4.86 ERA in 70.1 innings pitched with Reading. Carrasco threw his first no-hitter on August 21, 2007. He was on the World roster of the 2006, 2007, and 2008 All-Star Futures Games.
Entering the 2007 season, Carrasco was ranked as the top prospect in the Phillies organization and the 41st-best prospect in baseball. He was still ranked as the top prospect in the Phillies system entering 2008, and was listed as having the organization's best fastball and changeup.
On July 29, 2011, Carrasco was ejected from the game after throwing a pitch over the head of Kansas City Royals' designated hitter Billy Butler right after allowing outfielder Melky Cabrera the Royals' first grand slam of the season. During September 2011, Carrasco underwent Tommy John surgery and was eventually eliminated for the entire 2012 season.
On April 9, 2013, Carrasco made his first start since his Tommy John surgery and suspension. His season began with a rather poor outing against the New York Yankees during which he surrendered seven runs in 32⁄3 innings and hit batter Kevin Youkilis resulting in his ejection by home plate umpire Jordan Baker. This was Carrasco's first start since August 2011 after having Tommy John surgery. On April 10, 2013, Carrasco was optioned to the Triple-A Columbus Clippers, and eventually suspended 8 games for hitting Youkilis. He was recalled to the majors on June 8, and then sent back down to Triple-A on June 24. He was recalled on July 6, and then designated for assignment on July 7. He was then optioned to Columbus on July 9.
- "2006 Futures Game Rosters". Baseball America. 2006-06-21.
- "Futures Game World Roster". Baseball America. 2007-07-03.
- "World Futures Game Roster". "Baseball America". 2008-07-11.
- "Top 10 Prospects: Philadelphia Phillies". Baseball America. 2007-01-10.
- "2007 Top 100 Prospects". Baseball America. 2007-02-28.
- "Top 10 Prospects: Philadelphia Phillies". Baseball America. 2007-11-13.
- Bastian, Jordan (9 April 2013). "After homer, Indians starter Carlos Carrasco ejected for plunking Kevin Youkilis". MLB.com: News. MLB Advanced Media. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "Indians manager Terry Francona hoping RHP Carrasco's avoids suspension after hitting Youkilis". The Washington Post. Associated Press. 10 April 2013. Retrieved 12 April 2013.
- Emery, Mark (July 7, 2013). "Indians designate Carrasco, promote Guilmet". mlb.com. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)