|Don Carlos Palanca Memorial Awards for Literature|
Don Carlos Palanca Memorial Awards for Literature
|Awarded for||Excellence in literary works|
The Palanca Awards or Don Carlos Palanca Memorial Awards for Literature are literary awards of the Philippines. The Manila Standard called it the "Pulitzer Prize" of the Philippines in prestige. Unlike works acceptable as nominations for the Pulitzers, entries to the Palanca awards competition have to be previously unpublished pieces. The Palanca Awards, organized by the Carlos Palanca Foundation, is one of the Philippines' longest-running awards programs.
The Palanca Awards was established in 1950 to inspire and recognize Filipino writers, including poets, playwrights and screenwriters, and writers for children. In the 1960s the Palanca Awards Committee started to fund the publication of Palanca Award-winning plays, and production funds were committed in 1975. In 2009, it added a category for poetry for children, in both Filipino and English.
Starting on the 60th awards year, for which the call for submissions opened on March 1, 2010 (ended April 30, 2010), contestants could submit one entry each in the following categories:
- Short Story
- Short Story for Children
- Poetry Written for Children
- One-act Play
- Full-length Play
- Maikling Kuwento (Short Story in Filipino)
- Maikling Kuwentong Pambata (Short Story for Children in Filipino)
- Sanaysay (Essay in Filipino)
- Tula (Poetry in Filipino)
- Tulang Isinulat Para sa mga Bata (Poetry for Children in Filipino)
- Dulang May Isang Yugto (One-act Play in Filipino)
- Dulang Ganap ang Haba (Full-length Play in Filipino)
- Dulang Pampelikula (Screenplay in Filipino)
Regional Languages Division
- Short Story in Cebuano
- Short Story in Hiligaynon
- Short Story in Iluko
Kabataan Division (Open only to those below 18 years of age)
- Kabataan Essay
- Kabataan Sanaysay
Palanca Awardees by year:
Palanca Hall of Fame
The Palanca Hall of Fame honors was established in 1995 and is presented to a Palanca awardee who already won five first prizes in the regular categories.
Palanca Hall of Fame awardees are:
- Cirilo Bautista
- Gregorio C. Brillantes
- Ruth Elynia S. Mabanglo
- Buenaventura S. Medina Jr.
- Jesus T. Peralta
- Rolando Tinio
- Rene Villanueva
- Hessha Mae Chung
- Aguilar, Dheza Marie (2007-09-15). "Ang Ika-57 Gawad Carlos Palanca". Manila Standard. Archived from the original on 2007-12-17. Retrieved 2007-12-17., from Internet Archives
- "Palanca Awards announces deadline for submission of entries". Philstar.com. 2009-04-27. Retrieved 2009-04-30.
- "Deadline for Palanca awards entries set April 30". Sun.Star Manila. 2007-04-27. Retrieved 2009-04-30.
- Fernandez, Doreen (1996). Palabas: essays on Philippine theater history. Ateneo de Manila Publishing. p. 22. ISBN 971-550-188-5. Retrieved 2009-04-30.