Carlos Zurita, Duke of Soria
Carlos Emilio Juan Zurita y Delgado, Duke of Soria (born 9 October 1943 in Antequera), is the husband of Infanta Margarita of Spain, the younger sister of King Juan Carlos of Spain. As husband of the 2nd Duchess of Hernani and Duchess of Soria, Zurita is styled as His Excellency The Duke of Soria and Hernani.
The Duke of Soria is a medical doctor. He studied Medicine in the University of Seville with merits and took his doctorate with a scholarship in the Saint Clement College in Bologna. In 1971 Carlos Zurita gained the position of teacher service manager of the Spanish National College of the Thorax Illness.
He married Infanta Margarita, on 12 October 1972 in Estoril. They have two children:
- HE Alfonso Juan Carlos Zurita y de Borbón (b. Madrid, 9 August 1973)
- HE María Sofía Emilia Carmen Zurita y de Borbón (b. Madrid, 16 September 1975)
In 1989, the Duke and the Duchess of Soria created the Fundación Cultural Duques de Soria (The Duke and Duchess of Soria Cultural Foundation), its objective is to stimulate the Spanish language and culture. The Foundation cooperates with universities and Spanish cultural institutions to contribute the cultural and scientific development in Spain.
The Duke of Soria is President of the Spanish Federation of the Museums Friends Associations and President of the Friends of Prado Museum Foundation. He also is a member of the Spanish Royal Academy of Medicine.
Titles, styles, honours and arms
|Royal styles of
The Duke of Soria and Hernani
|Reference style||His Excellency|
|Spoken style||Your Excellency|
- 26 July 1960 – 12 October 1972: Mr. Carlos Zurita
- 12 October 1972 – 27 May 1981: His Excellency Carlos Zurita
- 27 May – 23 June 1981: His Excellency The Duke of Hernani
- 23 June 1981 – present: His Excellency The Duke of Soria and Hernani
The Duke's style and title in full: His Excellency Don Carlos Emilio Juan Zurita y Delgado de Borbón, Duke Consort of Soria, Duke Consort of Hernani, Grandee of Spain.
- Obituary of his father
- (Spanish) www.geneall.net (accessed 2 November 2008)
- (Spanish) Anales de la Real Academia Nacional de Medicina, Duke of Soria’s laudatio in his appointment as member of the Spanish Royal Academy of Medicine by Hipólito Durán Sacristán, 235-242. (accessed 2 November 2008)
- (Spanish) The Duke and Duchess of Soria Cultural Foundation website. (accessed 2 November 2008)
- (Spanish) Royal Decree 484/2003 The Duke of Soria member of the Spanish Royal Order of Alfonso X. BOE, Spanish Official Journal. (accessed 2 November 2008)