Carlsbad desalination plant
|Carlsbad desalination plant|
|Location||Encina Power Station, Carlsbad, California|
|Estimated output||50 million US gallons (190,000 m3) per day|
Carlsbad desalination plant is a desalination plant under construction in Carlsbad, California. It will produce 50 million gallons of water per day and will provide 7% of the potable water needs for the San Diego region. The project, headed by Poseidon Resources, will be adjacent to and north of the Encina Power Station and will share its intake and outflow system. It is scheduled to be completed in 2016.
The main engineering companies on this project are GHD Group and US-based Butier Engineering Inc. IDE Americas Inc., a subsidiary of Israel-based IDE Technologies Ltd., is designing the plant. IDE Technologies is jointly owned by Delek Group and Israel Chemicals. Simon Wong Engineering was subcontracted to provide the design and structural engineering services. The total cost is expected to reach near $1 billion. The plant is expected to produce 50 million US gallons (190,000 m3) of water per day (0.069 cubic kilometres per annum) with energy use ~3 kWh for 1 m3 fresh water.
- "City of Carlsbad - Seawater Desalination". City of Carlsbad. Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- Jason Dearen; Alicia Chang (22 September 2012). "California Drinking Water: Desalination No Panacea For State's Woes". The Huffington Post (New York City). Associated Press. Retrieved 1 March 2013.
- "Carlsbad 50 MGD Seawater RO Desalination Plant and Product Water Pipeline". Butier Engineering. Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- "Carlsbad Desalination Plant (CA, USA)". GHD Group. Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- "Australia's GHD to work on Carlsbad desalination". Desalin. Water Reuse (East Grinstead, UK). 23 March 2009.
- Udasin, Sharon (7 January 2013). "Israelis to design San Diego-area desalination plant". Jerus. Post. Retrieved 26 January 2013.
- Hackley, Randall (7 January 2013). "IDE Desalination Plant Project Contracts Valued at $650 Million". Bloomberg News. Retrieved 26 January 2013.
- Carlsbad desal plant, pipe costs near $1 billion
- Gorman, Steve (11 December 2009). "Desalination project forges ahead in California". Reuters.