Carlsbad desalination plant
|Carlsbad desalination plant|
The Encina Power Station in 2010, prior to construction of the desalination plant
|Location||Encina Power Station, Carlsbad, California|
|Estimated output||50 million US gallons (190,000 m3) per day|
|Percent of water supply||Estimated 7% of San Diego|
Carlsbad desalination plant is a desalination plant under construction in Carlsbad, California. It will produce 50 million gallons of water per day and will provide 7% of the potable water needs for the San Diego region. The project, headed by Poseidon Resources, will be adjacent to and north of the Encina Power Station and will share its intake and outflow system. The construction started by December 28th, 2012. It was scheduled to be completed in 2016.  Due to aggravation in the 2012–15 North American drought by 2014, conclusion is re-planned to November 2015.
The main engineering companies on this project are GHD Group and US-based Butier Engineering Inc. IDE Americas Inc., a subsidiary of Israel-based IDE Technologies, is designing the plant. IDE Technologies is jointly owned by Delek Group and Israel Chemicals. Simon Wong Engineering was subcontracted to provide the design and structural engineering services. J.F. Shea Company and Kiewit Corporation are constructing the plant. The total cost is expected to reach near $1 billion. The plant is expected to produce 50 million US gallons (190,000 m3) of water per day (0.069 cubic kilometres per annum) with energy use of ~3.6 kWh for 1 m3 fresh water, or ~38 MW of average continuous power.
- "City of Carlsbad - Seawater Desalination". City of Carlsbad. Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- Jason Dearen; Alicia Chang (22 September 2012). "California Drinking Water: Desalination No Panacea For State's Woes". The Huffington Post (New York City). Associated Press. Retrieved 1 March 2013.
- Gillis, Justin (11 April 2015). "For Drinking Water in Drought, California Looks Warily to Sea". The New York Times. Retrieved 12 April 2015.
- "Carlsbad 50 MGD Seawater RO Desalination Plant and Product Water Pipeline". Butier Engineering. Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- "Carlsbad Desalination Plant (CA, USA)". GHD Group. Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- "Australia's GHD to work on Carlsbad desalination". Desalin. Water Reuse (East Grinstead, UK). 23 March 2009.
- Udasin, Sharon (7 January 2013). "Israelis to design San Diego-area desalination plant". Jerus. Post. Retrieved 26 January 2013.
- Hackley, Randall (7 January 2013). "IDE Desalination Plant Project Contracts Valued at $650 Million". Bloomberg News. Retrieved 26 January 2013.
- "Seawater Desalination" (PDF). The Carlsbad Desalination Project. San Diego County Water Authority. March 2015. Retrieved 21 May 2015.
A joint venture of Kiewit Infrastructure West and J.F. Shea Construction, inc. designed and is building the desalination plant and pipleline.
- Carlsbad desal plant, pipe costs near $1 billion
- Gorman, Steve (11 December 2009). "Desalination project forges ahead in California". Reuters.
- Desalination of Seawater. American Water Works Association. 2011. p. 74. ISBN 978-1-58321-833-4.