Carmel Valley, San Diego
|Carmel Valley, San Diego|
|Community of San Diego|
View from the south
Carmel Valley community boundaries and surrounding communities
|Country||United States of America|
Carmel Valley is an affluent car-dependent suburban planned community in the north-western corner of San Diego, California, USA. The community is composed of commercial offices, residential units, hotels, and retail stores and restaurants. This is not to be confused with Carmel Valley Village, a community in northern California.
Carmel Valley is one of the newer neighborhoods of the City of San Diego, California. The community was formed by the City of San Diego on February, 1, 1975. The construction later began in 1983. The name Carmel Valley comes from the Carmelite Sisters of Mercy, who established a dairy farm and monastery in the area circa 1905. Although the area was known locally as Carmel Valley, in 1974 the area was given the institutional name North City West in the master plan. The name Carmel Valley was readopted in the early 1990s.
Carmel Valley is bordered to the north by the North City Future Urbanizing Area (NCFUA) and Pacific Highlands Ranch; to the south by Los Peñasquitos Canyon Preserve and Torrey Hills; to the east by Pacific Highlands Ranch and Del Mar Mesa; and to the west by Interstate 5 and Torrey Pines. Nearby is the Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve, where one of two stands of the endangered Torrey Pine is found to occur.
While many people in the area are now referring to the entire 92130 zip code as Carmel Valley, the actual boundaries of the community remain unchanged from the original community plan. The remainder of the 92130 zip code is filled by the surrounding communities of Del Mar Mesa, Pacific Highlands Ranch, and Torrey Hills. Torrey Highlands, the easternmost section of Del Mar Mesa, is considered to be a part of Carmel Valley and the boundary between Carmel Valley and Rancho Peñasquitos.
According to the San Diego County Assessor's Office's 2006 estimates, there were 42,047 people residing in the neighborhood, which increased 49.2% from 2000. The racial makeup of the neighborhood was 70.6% White, 18.0% Asian & Pacific Islander, 7.0% Hispanic, 3.4% from other races, 0.89% African American, and 0.001% American Indian.
The neighborhood is diverse in age with 30.2% under 18 and 6.5% over 65. The median age was 36.6. There were 2.7 persons per household. The median household income was $120,886; 17.8% of the households made $200,000 or more and 12.3% made $30,000 or less.
Carmel Valley has an overlay of various school districts. For the elementary schools, the northern section is part of the Solana Beach School District (K-6). The southern section is managed by the Del Mar Union School District (K-6). Overlaying the entire community, the San Dieguito Union High School District manages the middle schools and high schools. Some Carmel Valley residents attend schools in the bordering communities of Pacific Highlands Ranch, Torrey Hills, and Torrey Pines.
- Ashley Falls (Del Mar Union School District)
- Carmel Creek (Solana Beach School District)
- Carmel Del Mar (Del Mar Union School District)
- Del Mar Pines (private, nonsectarian)
- Ocean Air (Del Mar Union School District)
- Sage Canyon (Del Mar Union School District)
- Solana Highlands (Solana Beach School District)
- Solana Pacific (Solana Beach School District)
- Solana Ranch (Solana Beach School District)
- Sycamore Ridge (Del Mar Union School District); actually in Pacific Highlands Ranch
- Torrey Hills (Del Mar Union School District); actually in Torrey Hills
Middle schools and junior high schools
K through 8
- Torrey Pines High School (San Dieguito Union High School District)
- Canyon Crest Academy (San Dieguito Union High School District)
- Cathedral Catholic High School (Catholic)
- Westview High School (Poway Unified School District)
K through 12
Colleges and universities
Healthcare services in this neighborhood include:
- Scripps Clinic, Carmel Valley
- Scripps Clinic, Del Mar
- Sharp Reas-Seally
- Lindora Clinic (in Rite Aid)
- Rite Aid Pharmacy
- Vons Pharmacy
- Kaiser Permanente
Companies with offices in this neighborhood include US Bank, Scripps Health, Opera Solutions, Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman, Fish & Richardson, Morrison & Foerster, Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton and The Allen Group. Neurocrine Biosciences, ICW Group Insurance Companies headquarters is located in this neighborhood.
- "Population and Housing Estimates, City of San Diego" (PDF). SANDAG (San Diego Association of Governments). Retrieved 2007-03-12.
- "San Diego Communities". City of San Diego. Retrieved 22 December 2014.
Carmel Valley is a newer, master-planned community that has matured into a place where people can live, work and play.
- "North City West Community Plan" (PDF). City of San Diego. Retrieved 22 December 2014.
The following North City West Community Plan was adopted by the Council on February 27, 1975 by Resolution 0212692. The Plan presents a proposal for the development of the North City West Study Area as a new community of approximately 40,000 persons.
- "What Type of Lifestyle Does Carmel Valley, San Diego Offer?". Willis Allen. Retrieved 22 December 2014.
The master-planned community, which sits at the foot Carmel Mountain, was constructed beginning in 1983.
- "San Diego Community Profile: Carmel Valley". City of San Diego web site. Retrieved 2007-03-12.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Carmel Valley, San Diego.|
- Carmel Valley San Diego Community Site
- Carmel Valley community Information
- SANDAG: Carmel Valley 2000 demographics (census data)
- SANDAG: Carmel Valley 2030 forecast demographs
- City of San Diego: Carmel Valley community profile
- City of San Diego: Carmel Valley land use map
- Del Mar Regional Chamber of Commerce, serves Carmel Valley
- San Dieguito Union High School District
- Del Mar Union School District
- Solana Beach School District
- Karen Billing. Thriving Carmel Valley turns 30 this year: Residents remember the beginning. Del Mar Times, 1/7/2013.