Carmen District, San José
El Carmen District is the first distrito of San José Canton in Costa Rica, and one of the four administrative units that form San José city proper. This district is not heavily populated although it is a busy downtown area in daytime.
Geography and Demography
El Carmen District lies in the north of the San José Canton. It is surrounded by other districts (going clockwise): Goicoechea Canton (north) and Montes de Oca Canton (east) from San José Province. The District borders other districts of San José Canton, Catedral District (south) and Merced District (west).
El Carmen is 1.49 km² in area and had 4,004 inhabitants on December 31, 2008 (2,687.25 inhabitants per km².) 
This district comprises several barrios or neighbourhoods, such as Barrio Amón, Barrio Aranjuez, part of Barrio La California, El Carmen, El Empalme, Barrio Escalante and Barrio Otoya. Between its boundaries there are many important institutions and buildings, including government, health and culture.
- Asamblea Legislativa de Costa Rica. The national congress building.
- Hospital Calderón Guardia. One of the three main hospitals of the country.
- Biblioteca Nacional de Costa Rica. Costa Rica's national and major library.
- National Insurance Institute. Government-controlled monopolic enterprise for Costa Rica's insurance business.
- Población Total Cerrada por Sexo, según Provincia, Cantón y Distrito, published by the National Institute of Statistics and Census(INEC)
- Mapa Cantonal del Censo de 1984, published by the National Institute of Statistics and Census(INEC) and updated by the Central American Population Center (CCP)
- Municipalidad de San José. Distrito Carmen – Website of San Jose Mayor, includes a map of the district and related info.