||This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2009)|
Carmichael Road is an upmarket residential street of Mumbai. Situated on a ridge in South Mumbai, it is now officially called M.L. Dahanukar Marg. With old style bungalows and apartment houses such as the art deco Kamal Mahal of film director, Kamal Amrohi, most known for Pakeezah (1972). the street and surrounding neighbourhood is and has been home to Mumbai's rich and famous such as the Modys, the Commissariats, the Dahanukars, the Somaiyas, the Lalbhais, the Walchands and the Morarjees.
The hillslopes of street started being developed in the 1920s, with the bungalow of Municipal Commissioner of Mumbai being amongst the earliest, and by 1930 numerous large homes come up on the street, many built on Rs 1 lakh to Rs 1.5 lakh at the time. The road is a declared heritage precinct, and falls within the Coastal Regulation Zone-2 and had a height restriction of 75 to 80 m, that is building can be maximum 25 storeyes high. The road has only one high-rise building, the 24-storey Usha Kiran built the mid-1960s.
Redevelopment on the road, comes under heritage rules, expect for a "cessed structure", which either has tenants or was constructed prior to 1940. Over the year, many of the old buildings have been sold to developers, replaced by new ones, and often old residents have protested building of high-rise. Also in the neighbouring roads like Altamount Road, skyscrapers are coming up. However, real estate princes have remained high nevertheless, on an average, princes range from 40,000,000 (US$690,000) to 90,000,000 (US$1.5 million) per sq ft. In 2010, Villa Nirmala, 60-year old bungalow on the street, once owned by Khanderao Gaekwar, and later by the Wagles and Lalvanis families, sold for 300 crore (US$52 million), also in same year, an apartment in the Kamal Mahal building fetched 33 crore (US$5.7 million).
Some of the notable residents have been Ashok Kumar Jain, Chairman, Bennet & Colemann, The Times of India group, Andrew Geddis, industrialist, Kumar Mangalam Birla, Chairman Aditya Birla Group, Ratan Tata chairman Tata Group, J.R.D. Tata, chairman Tata Group, Mukesh Ambani, Reliance Group .
- "High life: Flat on Carmichael Rd fetches Rs 33 cr". The Times Of India. 30 April 2010.
- "60-yr-old south Mumbai bungalow sold for Rs 300cr". The Times of India. Sep 22, 2010. Retrieved May 18, 2013.
- "Sajjan Jindal puts Morena House on the block". The Times of India. Jun 23, 2011. Retrieved May 18, 2013.
- "Most reserved BMC plots unused". The Times of India. Sep 21, 2002. Retrieved May 18, 2013.
- "Tardeo skyscrapers may hurt property prices in the area". The Times of India. Oct 31, 2002. Retrieved May 18, 2013.
- "Importance of being Carmichael Road". Indian Express. Jan 15, 2003. Retrieved May 18, 2013.
- "Ashok Jain arrested". Indian Express. July 4, 1998. Retrieved May 18, 2013.
- "Kumar Birla, too, homes in on Carmichael Road". The Times of India. Jan 1, 2003. Retrieved May 18, 2013.
|This Mumbai location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Indian road or road transport-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|