Carnivorous Plant Newsletter
|Carnivorous Plant Newsletter|
|Volume 8, issue 3 (September 1979)|
Abbreviated title (ISO 4)
|Carniv. Pl. Newslett.|
|Edited by||Bob Ziemer|
International Carnivorous Plant Society (United States)
The Carnivorous Plant Newsletter is the official publication of the International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS), the largest such organization in the world.
History and editorship
The newsletter has been published every year since its inception in 1972. It was first published as a stenciled product, with annual subscription priced at $1 for those in the contiguous United States, Mexico and Canada, and $2 for those living elsewhere. The first issue, from April 1972, opened with the following paragraph:
We certainly cannot say there was less work involved in preparing this newsletter than anticipated, but the work was more than countered by the pleasure of at last beginning to fill a void among carnivorous botanists: A regular channel of informal communication. We are extremely encouraged by your response thus far.
In volume 7 (1978), the newsletter started printing in a 6 by 9 inch format with colour covers, and limited colour reproduction in some articles. The publication was originally founded by Don Schnell and Joe Mazrimas. Additional early editors included Leo Song and Larry Mellichamp. In 1997, Don Schnell retired and the new editors Jan Schlauer and Barry Rice joined the editorial staff. Mazrimas left the editorial board in 1998, leaving the journal's production to Schlauer, Rice, and Steve Baker (for page layout).
Since December 2006, all back issues of the Carnivorous Plant Newsletter are available as PDFs from the website of the International Carnivorous Plant Society. Articles older than 3 years are open to non-members.
The newsletter publishes on a quarterly basis, in full colour, and totals around 130 pages annually. Articles of scientific interest must pass through an anonymous peer-review process before being published. Typical articles also include matters of horticultural interest, field reports, literature reviews, synopses of new literature, and new taxa or cultivar descriptions. The newsletter has been a registration authority for cultivars of carnivorous plants since 1979, and in 1998, was appointed by the International Society for Horticultural Science as the International Cultivar Registration Authority for new carnivorous plant cultivars.
In a 1990 review published in the journal Taxon, Rudolf Schmid generally praised the publication, saying "over the past decade [it] has developed into one of the most attractive newsletters available, so appealing, in fact, that many libraries put the journal under lock". He also noted, however, that the lack of a contents page and the tendency to run articles over several discontinuous pages were "annoying".
- Drosera camporupestris
- Drosera grantsaui
- Drosera hartmeyerorum
- Drosera schwackei (new combination)
- Drosera spatulata var. bakoensis
- Drosera spatulata var. gympiensis
- Drosera tentaculata
- Drosera viridis
- Drosera × corinthiaca
- Drosera × fontinalis
- Heliamphora chimantensis
- Heliamphora elongata
- Heliamphora exappendiculata
- Heliamphora folliculata
- Heliamphora hispida
- Heliamphora sarracenioides
- Nepenthes angasanensis
- Nepenthes carunculata var. robusta
- Nepenthes lavicola
- Nepenthes longifolia
- Nepenthes mikei
- Nepenthes ovata
- Nepenthes rowanae (emended description)
- Nepenthes sibuyanensis
- Nepenthes talangensis
- Nepenthes tenuis
- Nepenthes xiphioides
- D'Amato, Peter (2011). "The Savage Garden: "The creation and early evolution of CPN"". Carnivorous Plant Newsletter 40 (2): 56–59.
- Schnell, Don; Mazrimas, Joe (1972). "Editors' Corner". Carnivorous Plant Newsletter 1 (1): 1.
- Mazrimas, Joe; Schnell, Donn (1977). "CPN--Where We Came From and Where We Hope to Go" (PDF). Carnivorous Plant Newsletter 6 (4): 70–71.
- Schmid, Rudolf (1990). "Reviews and notices of publications". Taxon 39 (2): 255–256. JSTOR 1223037.
- Anonymous (1978). "News and Notes". Taxon 27 (5/6): 478, 518, 536, 567–570. JSTOR 1219897.
- Origins of Carnivorous Plant Newsletter. International Carnivorous Plant Society.
- Carnivorous Plant Newsletter Reprints. International Carnivorous Plant Society.
- Some Background on the CPN Scanning Project. International Carnivorous Plant Society.
- Ziemer, Bob (2007). "Some Background on the CPN Scanning Project". Carnivorous Plant Newsletter 36 (2): 36.
- Brittnacher, John (2003). "ICPS on The World Wide Web: Carnivorous Plant Newsletter Index" (PDF). Carnivorous Plant Newsletter 32 (1): 28.
- About Carnivorous Plant Newsletter. International Carnivorous Plant Society.
- Species Descriptions in CPN. International Carnivorous Plant Society.
- Mellichamp, T. Lawrence (1988). "Reviewed work(s): Carnivorous Plants of the World by James Pietropaolo; Patricia Pietropaolo". Castanea 53 (1): 85–86. JSTOR 4033469.
- Mellichamp, T. Lawrence (1979). "CPN as the Registration Authority for Cultivars" (PDF). Carnivorous Plant Newsletter 8 (3): 79–81.
- "Cultivar Registrations in CPN". International Carnivorous Plant Society. Retrieved 2010-11-27.
- Greuter, Werner; von Raab-Staube, Eckhard (1998). "Registration Progress Report, 1". Taxon 47 (2): 497–501. JSTOR 1223804.
- Schlauer, Jan (1998). "The correct naming of carnivorous plants: ICBN, ICNCP, and the roles of CPN and ICPS". Carnivorous Plant Newsletter 27 (1): 27–28.
- Mellichamp, T. Lawrence (1982). "A Miscellaneous List of Places Where CPN is Cited" (PDF). Carnivorous Plant Newsletter 11 (2): 45.
- Schnell, Donald (1985). "Reminiscences" (PDF). Carnivorous Plant Newsletter 14 (1): 6–7.
- Schnell, Donald (1985). "Reminiscences II: CPN Firsts — Part 1" (PDF). Carnivorous Plant Newsletter 14 (2): 36–38.
- Schnell, Donald (1986). "(Reminiscences - III) CPN and Conservation" (PDF). Carnivorous Plant Newsletter 15 (1): 6–8.
- Schnell, Donald (1986). "(Reminiscences — IV) CPN First — Part 2" (PDF). Carnivorous Plant Newsletter 15 (2): 38–40.
- Schnell, Donald (1988). "CPN Reader Survey Results" (PDF). Carnivorous Plant Newsletter 17 (2): 58–62.