Carol's Daughter is a line of beauty products, including products for hair, body, and face care, as well as fragrances. It was founded by Lisa Price. Price named the company after her mother, Carol Hutson. Its products are available at Target as well as on HSN (The Home Shopping Channel) and Ulta. It has received much press coverage, including an appearance on The Queen Latifah Show, The Tyra Banks Show and Oprah.
Founder Lisa Price began working on the products for her line in the 1980s, when she was working on the set of The Cosby Show. In her free time she made organic beauty products in her kitchen, including pure oils such as sweet almond, jojoba, and soy. Her experimentation eventually led to a mail-order and online business in 1993, followed by the first store opening in Brooklyn in 1999. During the fall of 2005, she opened a second store on 125th Street in Harlem.
The rapid expansion was made possible in part through heavy investment. Ex-Record executive Steve Stoute led a group of investors in raising $10 million for the venture. Other investors include Jada Pinkett and Will Smith, Jay-Z, Mary J. Blige, Jimmy Iovine, Tommy Mottola, and Thalía. Past spokeswomen for the line include Mary J. Blige, Solange Knowles, Cassie Ventura, Kim Fields, and Jada Pinkett Smith.
On April 24, 2014, several companies affiliated with Carol's Daughter filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, after the company closed all but its Brooklyn and Harlem stores.
- Simanoff, Dave (2006-10-26). "A New Face For Cosmetics". Tampa Tribune.
- Ninh, David (2006-09-15). "Carol's Daughter has got the organic goods". The Dallas Morning News (Texas).
- http://money.cnn.com/2005/05/18/news/newsmakers/cosmetics/Will Smith
- The Wall Street Journal http://blogs.wsj.com/bankruptcy/2014/04/24/carols-daughter-companies-file-for-bankruptcy/
|url=missing title (help). Retrieved 31 August 2014.
- Official website
- May 2007 Lisa Price Interview on Healthy, Natural Skin Care with Al Sharpton & Dr. V on AskDoctorv.com
- Lisa Price's Profile at BlackEntrepreneurProfile.com