She has been a visiting professor at the University of Tokyo, the University of Venice, Harvard University, and the École des hautes études en sciences sociales in Paris. Gluck directs the East Asian Studies program within the Weatherhead East Asian Institute.
- 2013 – Thinking with the Past: Japan and Modern History. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 2009 – Words in Motion co-edited with Anna Tsing. Durham, North Carolina: Duke University Press.
- 2007 – Rekishi de kangaeru (Thinking with History). Tokyo: Iwanami
- 1997 – Asia in Western and World History: A Guide for Teaching co-edited with Ainslie Embree. Armonk, New York: M. E. Sharpe.
- 1992 – Showa: the Japan of Hirohito. New York: W. W. Norton & Company.
- 1985 – Japan's Modern Myths: Ideology in the Late Meiji Period. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- forthcoming – Past Obsessions: World War Two in History and Memory. New York: Columbia University Press.
- "Meiji and Modernity: From History to Theory,” in Intrecci Culturali ed. Rosa Caroli (Venice, 2009)
- "Ten Top Things to Know About Japan in the Early Twentieth Century," Education About Asia (Winter 2008).
- 2006 – Order of the Rising Sun, Gold Rays with Neck Ribbon
- 2002 – Japan-United States Fulbright Program 50th Anniversary Distinguished Scholar Award
- Gibney, Frank. "Imperial Failings" (a review of The Age of Hirohito: in Search of Modern Japan by Daikichi Irokawa." New York Times. September 24, 1995
- Pogrebin, Robin. "Japan Society Celebrates Its Centennial While Mending Its Fences," New York Times. March 22, 2007.
- Rich, Motoko, Lukas Schwarzacher and Fumie Tomita. "Land Of the Rising Cliché," New York Times. January 4, 2004.