|Beauty pageant titleholder|
|Born||Carol Laverne Morris
|Alma mater||Drake University|
|Height||5 ft 7 in (1.70 m)|
|Weight||131 lb (59 kg)|
|Title(s)||Miss Universe 1956
Miss USA 1956
Miss Iowa USA 1956
Miss Iowa 1954
Morris was born in Omaha, Nebraska, as the only child of a minister. The family first moved to Scott City, Kansas, where she attended elementary school. After moving to Ottumwa, Iowa, Miss Morris attended Ottumwa High School where she graduated 4th in her class of 300. Morris was a champion swimmer and worked as a lifeguard, sang in the church choir, and played the violin. She attended Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa, where she was a member of the Beta Kappa chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta and a decorated swim team member.
Morris developed into a 5-foot 7-inch young lady, with blue eyes and dark brown, almost black, hair, 131 pounds and 36-25-36-inch figure. The first beauty pageant she entered and won was the Miss Ottumwa contest. Morris was in high school and was sponsored by the South Ottumwa Boosters club. While attending Drake University she entered and won the Miss Iowa 1954 beauty contest. Morris then represented Iowa in the Miss America 1955 contest. In the talent portion of that competition she played the song Stardust on her violin.
Morris won the 1956 Miss USA contest that had 43 contestants and was held in Long Beach, California. She then competed and won against 29 contestants in the Miss Universe beauty pageant, also held in Long Beach. While reigning as Miss Universe Morris met Presidents Harry Truman and Herbert Hoover, and entertained U.S. troops with Bob Hope. She was also able to return home to the biggest celebration ever held in Ottumwa. A parade was organized in her honor, including Iowa's Governor Leo Hoegh and the 4 foot high Miss Universe trophy. And in 1956, she appeared as a mystery guest on What's My Line.
After completing her reign as Miss Universe she began an acting career. One of the awards for winning the Miss Universe title was a one year movie contract. Her first film was Crazy Love with co-star Jeff Chandler. She acted in many films and TV appearances. Morris last role was in Paradise Alley produced in 1962, not to be confused with the more famous 1978 film with the same name.
Morris married in June 1959, at age 23 she wed 45 year old Ed "Buzz" Burke a wealthy Texas oilman from Houston Texas. In April 1960 it was reported that the couple had a baby boy. The couple then had 2 more children. Her husband died and she was then remarried and had one more child. She currently has one granddaughter. As of 2010 she is still living in Texas with her husband.
As of the year 2014, she was the only Miss Iowa USA to win the Miss USA crown. She is still active in the Miss Iowa USA pageant.
- "Famous Iowans - Morris, Carol". The Des Moines Register. Retrieved 2010-12-23.
- Smith, Dave (April 13, 2010). "Miss Universe pageant held in Ottumwa? Yeah, right". Quad-City Times. Retrieved 2010-12-23.
- Belser, Emily (July 19, 1956). "Iowa Girl Is Miss U.S. In World Beauty Bid". Miami Daily News (Miami, FL: Cox Enterprises). International News Service. Retrieved March 25, 2015.
- "Iowa Beauty Wins Title of Miss U.S.A.". Toledo Blade. Associated Press. July 19, 1956. p. 2. Retrieved January 10, 2015.
- "Miss 2011". WordPress.com. Retrieved 2010-12-23.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Carol Morris.|
- Photo Gallery
- Miss 2011 - Carol Morris Miss Universe 1956 A Universal International News movie clip.
- Whats My Line? TV show clip on YouTube
- Carol Morris at the Internet Movie Database