|Full name||Carolina Souza Borges Mendelblatt|
25 May 1979 |
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
|Height||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|Weight||60 kg (132 lb)|
|Club||Iate Clube do Rio de Janeiro (BRA)
Clube de Vela de Portugal (POR)
Carolina Souza Mendelblatt (née Borges) (born May 25, 1979 in Rio de Janeiro) is a Brazilian-born Portuguese windsurfer, who specialized in Mistral and Neil Pryde RS:X classes. She represented Brazil at the 2004 Summer Olympics, and had been training with the Rio de Janeiro Yacht Club (Portuguese: Iate Clube do Rio de Janeiro) for most of her career before joining the Portuguese squad in 2012. As of September 2013, Mendelblatt is ranked no. 91 in the world for the sailboard class by the International Sailing Federation.
Mendelblatt made her official debut as a member of the Brazilian squad at the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens, where she placed twenty-fifth in women's Mistral sailboard with an accumulated net score of 229, edging out Puerto Rico's Karla Barrera by a vast, 31-point gap.
Eight years after competing in her last Olympics, Mendelblatt joined the Portuguese squad to compete for the second time in the RS:X class at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London by receiving a berth from the World Championships in Cadiz, Spain. Mendelblatt withdrew from the Games before the event had officially started, claiming that she lacked the support of the Portuguese mission and that she was three months pregnant.
- "Carolina Mendelblatt". London 2012. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "Carolina Mendelblatt". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "Women's Mistral Sailboard". Athens 2004. BBC Sport. 15 August 2004. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- "Finals Series Underway At RS:X Worlds". ISAF. 27 March 2012. Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "Women's RS:X". London 2012. Retrieved 27 November 2012.
- "Carolina Mendelblatt excluída por "razões disciplinares"" [Carolina Mendelblatt excluded for "disciplinary reasons"] (in Portuguese). Jornal Record Portugal. 31 July 2012. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- Aleixo, Mário (1 August 2012). "Carolina Mendelblatt: verdade adiada sobre a atitude da atleta" [Carolina Mendelblatt: truth and reluctance on the attitude of the athlete] (in Portuguese). Rádio e Televisão de Portugal. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- Head, Simon (1 August 2012). "Oh baby! Windsurfer quits Games after learning she's expecting". Daily Mirror. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- Miller, Daniel (6 February 2013). "Portugal bans female windsurfer for life after she concealed her pregnancy but attended London 2012 to see her husband". Mail Online. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
|This biographical article related to Brazilian sports is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|