Carolina Dreams, released in 1977, was The Marshall Tucker Band's sixth album and an ode to the band's home state, South Carolina, USA. Focusing on Western themes, it spawned their biggest hit to date, "Heard It In a Love Song", which rose to #14 on the Billboard Hot 100, taking the album with it to #22 and #23 on the Country and Pop charts, respectively. A bonus live version of "Silverado" appears on the 2005 reissue which was recorded the year after the death of bassist and founding member, Tommy Caldwell.
Track listing 
 All songs by Toy Caldwell except where noted.
- "Fly Like an Eagle" - 3:03
- "Heard It in a Love Song" - 4:55
- "I Should Have Never Started Lovin' You" (Toy Caldwell, Doug Gray, George McCorkle) - 7:10
- "Life in a Song" (Jerry Eubanks, McCorkle) - 3:33
- "Desert Skies" - 6:24
- "Never Trust A Stranger" - 5:28
- "Tell It To The Devil" - 6:45
- "Silverado" (bonus track, live, included on 2005 reissue. Recorded 1981 Winter Garden Theater, Dallas, TX) - 4:28
- Toy Caldwell - lead, acoustic and steel guitars
- Tommy Caldwell - bass, tambourine, and background vocals
- Doug Gray - lead vocals
- George McCorkle - electric, twelve string and acoustic guitars
- Paul Riddle - drums
- Jerry Eubanks - flute, saxophone, background vocals
- Paul Hornsby - Piano and organ
- Charlie Daniels - Fiddle and harmony vocal on "Desert Skies". (Charlie Daniels appears courtesy of Epic Records)
- Chuck Leavell - Piano on "Life In A Song"
- Jaimoe - Congas
- Leo LaBranche - Horn section arrangements and trumpet on "Life In A Song" and "I Should Have Never Started Lovin' You"
- Dezso Lakatos - Tenor sax as part of the horn section.
- Producer: Paul Hornsby
- Recording Engineer: Kurt Kinzel, Richard Schoff, David Pinkston
- Art Direction: Diana Kaylan
- Photography: David Alexander
- Handlettering: Bill Franks