|New Jersey Assemblywoman|
January 8, 2008
Serving with Mary Pat Angelini
|Constituency||Monmouth County, New Jersey|
November 21, 1976 |
Point Pleasant, New Jersey
|Residence||Colts Neck Township, New Jersey|
|Alma mater||Rutgers School of Law–Camden, J.D.
Pennsylvania State University, B.S.
Caroline Casagrande (born November 21, 1976) is an American Republican Party politician, who has served in the New Jersey General Assembly representing the 11th Legislative District since January 10, 2012. Prior to redistricting, she served in the Assembly from January 8, 2008 representing the 12th District. She is the youngest assemblywoman ever elected in New Jersey.
Casagrande served as a Commissioner on the New Jersey Redistricting Commission, which was charged with redrawing the lines of the State's congressional districts following the 2010 United States Census.
Early life and family
Casagrande was born in Point Pleasant, New Jersey, and grew up in nearby Spring Lake. She graduated from Red Bank Catholic High School, in Red Bank, New Jersey, earned a B.S. degree from Pennsylvania State University with a major in Political Science. Casagrande was elected as Undergraduate Student Government president, where she worked to reduce the cost of student transportation around campus, improve student health care services, and protect students from dramatic tuition increases. She was awarded a J.D. from Rutgers School of Law–Camden.
Prior to being elected assemblywoman, Casagrande was a partner / attorney with the law firm of Menna, Supko & Casagrande in Shrewsbury, N.J. Casagrande has also served as municipal attorney to Manalapan Township and special counsel to Fair Haven. Between semesters at Rutgers School of Law–Camden, she clerked at the Prosecutor's Office in Monmouth County and at the New Jersey Attorney General's Office. While in college, Casagrande worked in the new democratic government of South Africa. In law school, performed pro bono legal services for bankruptcy filers in Camden, N.J. After graduating from law school, she clerked for New Jersey Superior Court Judge Robert O'Hagan.
New Jersey General Assembly
In 2007, Casagrande ran on the Republican ticket for New Jersey State Assemblywoman of the 12th district alongside Assemblyman Declan O'Scanlon. She defeated an incumbent Assemblyman, and became the youngest woman to ever be elected to the New Jersey General Assembly. Casagrande serves in the Assembly on the Appropriations Committee and the Women and Children Committee.
In 2011 Casagrande was redistricted to the 11th Legislative District and sought re-election there together with Senator Jennifer Beck, who was also shifted out of the 12th district, and Assembly member Mary Pat Angelini. They were the first trio of women to be elected as a team to the New Jersey Legislature.
Each of the 40 districts in the New Jersey Legislature has one representative in the New Jersey Senate and two members in the New Jersey General Assembly. The other representatives from the 11th District for the 2014-2015 Legislative Session are:
|New Jersey General Assembly Election 2011 - District 11|
|Republican||Mary Pat Angelini||18,479||26.3|
|New Jersey General Assembly Election 2009 - District 12|
|New Jersey General Assembly Election 2007 - District 12|
|Democratic||Michael J. Panter||23,842||24.9|
- Staff. "Assembly races: 12th and 30th", The Times (Trenton), October 28, 2009. Accessed May 1, 2013. "It is represented by two Republican first-termers: Declan O'Scanlon Jr., a wireless telecommunications consultant from Little Silver, and Caroline Casagrande, a lawyer from Colts Neck, who at age 30 was the youngest woman ever elected to the New Jersey Assembly."
- 12the Legislative District Web page biography, District 12. Accessed June 19, 2009.
- Members, New Jersey Redistricting Commission. Accessed May 1, 2013.
- Campaign Web site Accessed June 19, 2009. "Ms. Casagrande is a life long Monmouth County resident, having been born and raised in Spring Lake with her five brothers and sisters."
- Living Media profile, October 23, 2008. Accessed June 19, 2009. "This is not to say, however, that Casagrande has deserted her Jersey Shore roots (she is originally from Spring Lake);"
- Assemblywoman Casagrande's legislative webpage, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed April 23, 2013.
- Assembly Member Caroline C. Casagrande, Project Vote Smart. Accessed April 24, 2008.
- Walter, Kenny. "GOP legislators kick off run for 11th District: Beck, Casagrande, Angelini would be state’s first all-female legislative team", Atlanticville, June 30, 2011. Accessed July 14, 2011. "A trio of Republican legislators kicked off their campaign to represent a newly configured 11th District last week and to become the state’s first all-women legislative team. Sen. Jennifer Beck and Assemblywoman Caroline Casagrande, currently representing the 12th District, and Assemblywoman Mary Pat Angelini, who currently represents the 11th District, announced their candidacies on June 22 with a press conference at the home of Ocean Township resident Rick Miller.... Earlier this year, the state Legislative Redistricting Committee approved a new district map for the state’s 40 districts that moved Casagrande and Beck from the 12th District to join Angelini in the 11th. The 11th District now includes Eatontown, Long Branch, Ocean, West Long Branch, Red Bank, Shrewsbury and Tinton Falls, among other towns, but will no longer represent Colts Neck, Englishtown, Fair Haven, Little Silver, Manalapan and Marlboro."
- Legislative Roster 2014-2015 Session, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed January 27, 2014.
- Official List Candidate Returns for General Assembly For November 2011 General Election, New Jersey Department of State, Division of Elections, updated as of December 14, 2011. Accessed October 30, 2013.
- Official List Candidate Returns for General Assembly For November 2009 General Election, New Jersey Department of State, Division of Elections, updated as of December 1, 2009. Accessed October 30, 2013.
- Assemblywoman Casagrande's legislative webpage, New Jersey Legislature
- Official 12th Legislative District website
- New Jersey Legislature financial disclosure forms - 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007
- Assembly Member Caroline C. Casagrande, Project Vote Smart