|Member of Parliament
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Peter Viggers|
28 October 1971 |
Portsmouth, Hampshire, England
|Alma mater||Swansea University|
The daughter of ITV Meridian presenter Fred Dinenage, she has lived in South Hampshire all her life. She attended Oaklands RC Comprehensive School, Waterlooville, and then studied Politics and English at Swansea University.
Career and local politics
She started her political career in the City of Winchester, where she served on the local council for five years, resigning in 2003. She stood as the Conservative Party candidate for Portsmouth South in the 2005 general election, finishing second with 33.9% of the vote.
In 2010, after the retirement announcement of Sir Peter Viggers in light of the United Kingdom Parliamentary expenses scandal, Gosport Constituency Conservative Association held a United States-style open primary pre-election, inviting all constituents, of whatever political affiliation, to complete a postal ballot to select a candidate. Dinenage won the Gosport primary.
Dinenage was elected to the House of Commons as Member of Parliament for Gosport in the 2010 general election with a majority of 14,413. She was named in The Guardian as Brian May's Hero of 2010 for her commitment to animal welfare and opposition to fox hunting. Dinenage has taken a keen interest in defence issues, and has campaigned in particular for a medal for the veterans of the Arctic convoys of World War II. From November 2012, Caroline has sat on the Business, Innovation and Skills Select Committee.
On 5 February 2013 Dinenage voted against the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill in the Second Reading debate. She said that banning gay couples from marrying "takes nothing away from their relationship."
In June 2013, Dinenage was appointed one of 12 Small Business Ambassadors by the Prime Minister.
- The London Gazette: . 13 May 2010.
- "Caroline Dinenage MP". BBC News. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- "Caroline Dinenage". The Conservative Party. Retrieved 11 May 2010.
- "Caroline Dinenage, Conservative, Gosport". Daily Echo. Retrieved 11 May 2010.
- Register of Members' Financial Interests, as at 11 March 2013
- "Portsmouth South". The Guardian. Retrieved 11 May 2010.
- Parkinson, Justin (27 July 2011). "MP Caroline Dinenage on duck islands, dads and the Krays". BBC News. Retrieved 27 July 2011.
- "Gosport". BBC News. Retrieved 11 May 2010.
- "Arctic Convoys". Retrieved 3 September 2012.
- "Gosport MP Caroline Dinenage pushes for medals for Arctic Convoy vets". Daily Echo. Retrieved 3 September 2012.
- "The House of Commons.2013.Marriage (Same Sex Couples)Bill 2012-2013".
- Scott, Roberts (4 February 2013). "Tory MP Caroline Dinenage: Banning gay couples from marrying ‘takes nothing away from their relationship’". Pink News.
- "CAROLINE APPOINTED SMALL BUSINESS AMBASSADOR". 6 June 2013. Retrieved 25 June 2013.
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Gosport