Jones joined the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) in Canberra in 1963 and later became the first female reporter for This Day Tonight. She then became a Four Corners presenter from 1972 to 1981. From 1987 to 1994 she presented a spiritually-focused radio program called The Search For Meaning on ABC Radio National, on which people told the stories of their lives.
During 1988, Jones worked alongside Aboriginal broadcasters at Central Australian Aboriginal Media Association, in Alice Springs, as they produced their first cultural and current affairs programs for television. In 1998 she was appointed an Ambassador for Reconciliation by the Council for Aboriginal Reconciliation.
Jones has won numerous media awards, including a Logie in 1972 and several Media Peace Prize Gold Citations. She was made an Officer of the Order of Australia in 1988 and in 1989 was awarded the Archbishop of Sydney Citation in recognition of her contribution to Christian ideals in radio and television. She was a foundation member of the Australian Council for the Arts, formed in 1973, as well as a foundation member of the National Films Board of Review, formed in 1971.
The National Trust of Australia voted Jones one of Australia's Living Treasures in 1997. In 2007 she was made an Honorary Doctor of Letters (DLitt) at the University of the Sunshine Coast.
- The Search For Meaning, ABC and Collins Dove (1989) (based on the radio program of the same name)
- The Search For Meaning, Volume 2, ABC and Collins Dove (October 1990)
- The Search For Meaning - Conversations with Caroline Jones, ABC Books (October 1992)
- The Search For Meaning Collection, ABC Books (1995)
- An Authentic Life: Finding meaning and spirituality in everyday life. ABC Books (1998)(2005)
- Through a Glass Darkly: A Journey of Love and Grief with My Father, ABC Books (2009)
- "An authentic life: finding meaning and spirituality in everyday life / Caroline Jones.". Port Adelaide Enfield Public Library Service. Retrieved 2008-10-12.
- "Caroline Jones - Curriculum Vitae". Australian Story, ABC TV. Retrieved 2008-10-12.
- Caroline Jones at the Internet Movie Database
- Speaker Profile of Caroline Jones AO at The Celebrity Speakers Bureau
- Jones, Caroline (1938 - ) in The Encyclopedia of Women and Leadership in Twentieth-Century Australia