June 8, 1935 |
Lewistown, Pennsylvania, USA
|Genre||Historical Fiction, Young-adult fiction|
The typical genre for her work is historical fiction, one of her more popular projects being the Young Royals series, each novel of which tells the story of a different female royal person. For example, one of Carolyn Meyer's recently published works is Duchessina, which is the story of the life of Catherine de' Medici.
Meyer's latest work published is Beauty’s Daughter: The Story of Hermione and Helen of Troy, published October, 2013.
Her previous published work was The True Adventures of Charley Darwin, focusing on the life of Charles Darwin, quite a leap from her usual subjects, for she has gone from royalty, to European artists, and now to scientists. The True Adventures of Charley Darwin is unusual in that it breaks from Meyer's formula of always having a female narrator, as Charley narrates his own story. The hardcover version of this book was published on 26 January 2009. Before Darwin came In Mozart's Shadow, a historical novel about Mozart and narrated by his older sister, Maria Anna Mozart, nicknamed Nannerl, released in 2008.
Born as an only child in Lewistown, Pennsylvania, Carolyn Meyer began her first "novel," Humpy the Caterpillar and Gladys the Snail: A True Life Romance at age eight. However, she came to finish only three complete chapters.
Mother to three grown sons, she now resides in the middle of Albuquerque, New Mexico with her husband, E.A. “Tony” Mares, a New Mexico poet, essayist and historian, and emeritus professor at the University of New Mexico.
- Where the Broken Heart Still Beats: The Story of Cynthia Ann Parker (1992)
- White Lilacs (1993)
- Rio Grande Stories (1994)
- Drummers of Jericho (1995)
- Gideon's People (1996)
- Jubilee Journey (1997)
- Mary, Bloody Mary (1999)
- Isabel: Jewel of Castilla (2000)
- Anastasia: The Last Grand Duchess (2000)
- Beware, Princess Elizabeth (2001)
- Kristina: The Girl King (2003)
- Brown Eyes Blue (2003)
- Doomed Queen Anne (2004)
- Patience, Princess Catherine (2004)
- Marie, Dancing (2005)
- Loving Will Shakespeare (2006)
- Duchessina: A Novel of Catherine de’ Medici (2007)
- In Mozart's Shadow: His Sister's Story (2008)
- The True Adventures of Charley Darwin (2009)
- The Bad Queen: Rules and Instructions for Marie-Antoinette (2010)
- Cleopatra Confesses (2011)
- The Wild Queen: The Days and Nights of Mary, Queen of Scots (2012)
- Victoria Rebels (2013)
- Beauty’s Daughter: The Story of Hermione and Helen of Troy (2013)
- Details for Duchessina: A Novel of Catherine de' Medici at Amazon booksellers
- Details for The True Adventures of Charley Darwin at Amazon booksellers
- Details for In Mozart's Shadow at Amazon booksellers
- Details for The Bad Queen at Amazon booksellers
- Official website
- Interview at publisher Harcourt[dead link]
- Carolyn Meyer at Library of Congress Authorities, with 65 catalog records