Carrabba's Italian Grill
|Wholly owned subsidiary|
|Founded||December 26, 1986
Houston, Texas, U.S.
|Founder||John Charles Carrabba, III
Number of locations
|Steven T. Shlemon
(President of Carrabba’s)
(pasta • pizza • chicken • seafood)
|Footnotes / references
Carrabba's Italian Grill (or simply Carrabba's) is an American restaurant chain featuring Italian-American cuisine, owned and operated by Bloomin' Brands and headquartered in Tampa, Florida. As of December 31, 2011, there were 231 company-owned locations along with one franchised location.
The chain was founded on December 26, 1986 by John Charles "Johnny" Carrabba, III and his uncle Damian Mandola. Together, they opened the first restaurant on Kirby Drive in Houston, Texas. A second location was opened soon after at the intersection of Woodway and Voss street. After a considerable enlargement of the restaurant, it was renamed "Rosie Carrabba's" in honor of Damian's sister Rose. Johnny Carrabba and his family are still the proprietors of both original locations.
In January 1993, under a joint venture with Outback Steakhouse, Inc. (the predecessor to Bloomin' Brands), 10 new Carrabba's locations were opened in Houston and Florida. Two years later, OSI acquired the rights to develop the Carrabba's chain nationwide.
As of 2013, more Carrabba's restaurants are in the state of Florida—home to parent company Bloomin' Brands' corporate headquarters—than any other in the United States.
Many of the recipes for the dishes on Carrabba's menu are those of Damian's mother Grace and his sister Rose. These recipes were featured on the PBS cooking show Cucina Sicilia, which is hosted by Carrabba and Mandola.
Chicken Bryan, one of Carrabba's Italian Grill's dishes, features an 8 oz grilled chicken breast, topped with caprino cheese, sundried tomatoes, and a basil lemon-butter sauce. The dish is named after the city of Bryan (Texas), where the Carrabba family settled.
- OSI Restaurant Partners, LLC (December 31, 2011). "FY 2011 10-K". U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. Retrieved April 16, 2012.
- "Carrabba's Story". OSI Restaurant Partners, LLC. Retrieved April 16, 2012.
- "Carrabba's Locator, Kirby". OSI Restaurant Partners, LLC. Retrieved April 16, 2012.
- "Carrabba's Locator, Woodway". OSI Restaurant Partners, LLC. Retrieved April 16, 2012.
- Steve Huettel (October 22, 2008). "Changes on their way to Tampa International Airport". St. Petersburg Times. Retrieved April 16, 2012.
- Carrabba's Locations
- "About, Meet the Family". OSI Restaurant Partners, LLC. Retrieved April 16, 2012.
- "Cucina Sicilia". PBS. Retrieved April 16, 2012.
- "Founders". OSI Restaurant Partners, LLC. Retrieved April 16, 2012.
- "Chicken Bryan". OSI Restaurant Partners, LLC. Retrieved April 23, 2012.